Strange shaking - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Strange shaking

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #16
XJforlife
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ive had the tires balanced 3 times over the last 6 months just for the sake of it. I feel like its not an alignment issue. I drove it over the summer some though with the wheels way out of alignment without realizing it (maybe over 1000 miles). Any chance I cupped the tires or did something to that order? and why am I only feeling it in the front right... Its like a slight wave of vibration that originates in the driver side tire and slowly moves over the vehicle in repetition about once every 5-7 sec when driving 60-70. If my tie rods are blown, how much is a fix for that and who makes the best?

XJforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #17
Xjliker

Shaking is not uncommon for xj's. Be sure to check these things, tire balancing , rotor balancing , tie rods worn, steering box slack worn, bushings in control arms bad, track bar ( track bar is a common problem) , bearings in axel out, and of course front end alignment . Hope this helps.
Xjliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #18
halfmoonclip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's not a bad idea to replace your steering stabilizer, but that won't cure the problem. It comes down to balance and tire roundness, with maybe a bent rim or thrown belt somewhere in the mix.
Local fella has a tire shop; decent guy, he's even hunted down at our camp. But his tire balancer couldn't balance a cup on a saucer. Don't know if he didn't service the equipment or what. Such equipment gets used hard and is subject to wear. Also had some tires that were out of round from new, and they can't be balanced, IMHO. Not familiar with the road force machine, nor if it can solve that kind of problem.
Had a Honda several years ago that resisted all efforts to balance the tires. Finally pitched an extra large fit (hate to do that) and the dealer replaced them under warranty. Back during the Carteresque 55 limit, you couldn't get anything to balance; always guessed the tiremakers let QC go to hell because of the low speeds.
Look around for a tire shop with high standards and a good rep; try a balance there. Only way I solved a shimmy in my last XJ.
Moon
'07 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD-da kid's ride
Goodbye Old Blue XJ; 10+yrs, 100K+ miles; virtually trouble free; Long may you run!
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #19
Gonnabebig

I had a similar problem with mine, I just got all around new tie rods and did the alignment and it went away

89' Cherokee pioneer 4.0litre
Gonnabebig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #20
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Had the exact same issue, happened everytime at the same portions of the road/freeway, maybe because the road was slighlty uneven or something (couldn't tell). The new stabilizer bar bushings did NOTHING. Changed the steering damper, helped a little. Alignment did the job. It know it wasnt my tie rod ends coz they're shot and I need to change them.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #21
XJforlife
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I just got done driving my jeep today and I can almost positively say the tie rods are bad. At 55, it felt a like my front driver side wheel was the bad front wheel on shopping carts you get at grocery stores (the one that wiggles back and forth when you push). So, looks like I will be replacing them. Any idea which I should use for replacements?
Unread 03-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #22
XJgrizzly99
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If replacing the tie rods doesn't help it's probably your trac bar. This happened to me around the same speed. Replaced the bar and it went away.
XJgrizzly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2011, 02:50 AM   #23
Chero40L
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJforlife View Post
I just got done driving my jeep today and I can almost positively say the tie rods are bad. At 55, it felt a like my front driver side wheel was the bad front wheel on shopping carts you get at grocery stores (the one that wiggles back and forth when you push). So, looks like I will be replacing them. Any idea which I should use for replacements?
I went to www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-steering-parts/cherokee-xj.htm, should be pretty straightforward. Their prices aren't bad and the service is pretty good. There's some upgrade components on there too.
Chero40L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #24
XJforlife
1998 XJ Cherokee 

just had the dealer check all of my suspension. Nothing is wrong. Had the tire balanced and everything leveled out. turns out that firestones balancer was just straight crap. now shes driving like a champ.

Tags
shaking , steering , tires

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.