Strange shaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Strange shaking

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
XJforlife
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Strange shaking

Ive owned my XJ for about 6 months now and recently I have been experiencing a shaking in the steering. Not violent, just barely noticeable. It starts in the driver-side front tire and works its way across the vehicle in between 60-70 miles an hour. Besides that, it doesn't exist. I only have 86k on the vehicle and the tires are almost new, they are balanced and aligned so no worries there. Just replaced the shocks 1k ago and they greatly reduced the shaking, but its still there. Any suggestions? Could my tires be pitted or cupped?

XJforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
TrailRider94
1997 TJ Wrangler 

maybe your steering stabalizer is worn out?????
TrailRider94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
XJforlife
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Its possible. I had the vehicle checked out over Christmas though by our local mechanic and they didn't find anything wrong. How can I check the stabilizer and is it a major repair?
Unread 02-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
motorheadmach1
1990 XJ Cherokee 

stabilizer is a ver easy repair and fairly cheap. i would say if you dont know when it was last replaced its probably weak and never hurts to replace it. the only way i know to check it is take it off and see if it still resists movement in both directions. its only held onto the tie rod assemble with 2 bolts. i think the last one i bought was at auto zone for about $35
Unread 02-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #5
XJforlife
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Im going to replace the stabilizer this weekend and see if that works. Ill get back to you if that fixes the problem
Unread 02-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
oldmanscherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Balance is good but you can balance a sqaure. If you have a shifted belt or a dented rim or just a tire assembly that has to much road force variation it will balance out on a normal machine regardless. The only way to be sure is a balancer that has road force variation. I've always had one in the shop and it's worth its weight in gold. It's the only thing I'll use to balance on all my rides. The type of vibration and speed at what you're getting it is going to be a tire/rim issue most likely.
4.5 inch RC lift
32 11.5 bfg muds
oldmanscherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Steering stabilizer isn't going to fix that issue, as you can run a modern vehicle without one and not notice it (until you hit a large pothole). Take it for an alignment and have it checked out. They can tell you if anything is out of whack.
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
wwjeeper
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Shouldn't be the steering stabilizer. I have this problem a lot and it's always the same thing, something is making the tire come out of balance. For me it's usually some snow/ice/mud caked to the inside of the rim, even a little bit will unbalance your tire
wwjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
Overdubbed
1989 XJ Cherokee 

stabilizer, tie rod, wheel bearing..
Overdubbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
XJforlife
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I will get the tire checked out and see if I threw a belt or something. I know the rims arent dented and are clean so no issue there.
Unread 02-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #11
AMX
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachinXJ View Post
Steering stabilizer isn't going to fix that issue, as you can run a modern vehicle without one and not notice it (until you hit a large pothole). Take it for an alignment and have it checked out. They can tell you if anything is out of whack.
X2
Putting a new steering stabilizer on will only help to mask the real problem!

AMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #12
Aero
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I had the same issue and it apparently was my tires.. because the toe degree was off a few .01~s on each side.. It kept getting worse and worse until I replaced the tires..
Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #13
Chero40L
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I have the same problem. Its only on the highway, at 55-65 mph roughly. Its a steering wheel shake, not violent, but like a vibration. My tie rod end at the pitman arm was shot, replaced that. My lugs were different weight/sizes on the front, replaced those. Got new shocks all the way around, it's alot better, but not gone. My tires only have a year and a half on them.

Next step for me is a tire rotation/new steering stabilizer/ and all new tie rod ends, and a fresh alignment. that *should* fix it. But like I said, the tie rod end at the pitman arm did fix that shimmy by 50-70%. So by logic, getting all new tie rod ends to replace the old ones left, should eliminate what little play the front end has left in it.
Chero40L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 05:19 AM   #14
xjokee
1998 XJ Cherokee 

As for you Chero40L, if you have steering wheel shake, that's usually result of rear tires being out of balance. Try swapping front to back and see if that cures the shake.
Mike
Unread 02-25-2011, 05:51 AM   #15
Chero40L
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, I tried that. I got them rotated and balanced twice. First time around, I still had that shimmy at that speed, and everything I read pointed to the wheels. So I had them rotated and re-balanced at a different place and it was still the same. A constant wheel shake at that speed is what pointed me to the wheels, but this shake is different. it's like a vibration, I only feel it, if i'm going around a bend on the highway, where you feel the weight of the XJ shift as you steer with the road. Once the road straightens out no more vibration. I could get brand new rims and tires, there wouldn't be anything left of the wheels to fix, but after doing what I did already, it seems like the problem lies elsewhere.

For me, replacing that decrypted tie rod end at the pitman arm and a fresh alignment really took a lot of that vibration away, like 50-70%. So it's only reasonable for me to think that the other 3 tie rod ends may have excessive wear which may be contributing. They need replaced anyway. If that don't do it, then I'll try something else. Either way, I'm replacing parts that are old anyway.

*sigh* in any case, I had this bugger for about 2 years, and the previous owner did squat to maintain it outside of oil and fluid changes.
Chero40L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shaking , steering , tires

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.