Strange Belt Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Strange Belt Noise

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Strange Belt Noise

I've got a strange whirring noise that appears to be coming from my (disconnected) AC unit. It fluctuates in volume. I'm assuming it's a bad bearing somewhere. If it is the AC unit, do I really have to replace the whole unit, which I don't use anyway?

aldersonfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
filluptrk
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The AC clutch bearing may be bad. If it gets bad enough it will freeze and that is not good. Loosen the belt, and spin the AC clutch. If it is barely moves then you know the problem. If you have it disconnected just get one with a good bearing from junkyard and put it in, no charging required.
filluptrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
wheelbagans4

If im not mistaken it could be a water pump barring. Check to see if the belts are loose, if the pump itself is loose or just the barring.
wheelbagans4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The AC compressor on my 99 is different thn yours, but maybe they are built similar.
The clutch bearing on my compressor seized.
I went to the junkyard and grabbed another compressor 20$. I was able to remove the pulley/clutch bearing (a bolt or more and some snap rings hold it on.

Swap the pulley/clutch bearing over.
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.