Storage and Sub box Write-up for the "Handy Dandy, Super Duper Storage Box" - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 09-29-2005, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
el_chupo_

2012 JK Wrangler 

Storage and Sub box Write-up for the "Handy Dandy, Super Duper Storage Box"

Here is the write up for the storage/sub box that I have in my Jeep. This design took a while to come up with, but I decided to go this route because it allows some flexibility in the subwoofer used, allowing me to simply swap out a box if I go with an 8” or other 10” that requires a different volume. I didn’t get the chance to take pictures of all the work, but these should give you a basic idea on what to do. I also didn’t measure the box again, so you will need to/should need to so that it will work in your vehicle.

Also of note, I don’t have any carpeting in the back of my vehicle.

First Pic:

This is the first test fit. IIRC, it is 32 inches deep, 43 inches wide, and at this point 5.25 inches tall. The whole thing is inches tall. The bottom is ¾ inch plywood. The middle part there is 4.5 inches tall. It was a piece of 2x6 oak that we planed down to 1.5 inches thick, and cut to the right height. The back and sides are furniture grade plywood. The middle is wide enough for the 4 channel amp. The sides for the sub box are MDF, ¾ inch, and are just set in to show placement.

Second Pic:

This is the area that the sub box will occupy, showing the clearance with the wheel well. The gap you see is because of the angle of the back seat, and the box being 6 inches tall. Not to worry, people cant see it.

Third Pic:

Driver side shot

Fourth Pic:

This shows that I measured a bit off, and there isn’t room for the Pass. Side lid to close and catch on anything. To fix this we glued/nailed a ½ inch strip of oak to the side, creating a lip for it to catch on.

2012 JK Unlimited Rubicon

1999 XJ - Sold
1988 XJ Cheif - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-29-2005, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
el_chupo_

2012 JK Wrangler 

Fifth Pic:

Pic with the “lip” on

Sixth Pic:

Drawer slides mounted, Drawer built. The drawer sides and back are oak, planed down to about 1/2 an inch. They are grooved all around for the 3/8 plywood bottom, This created a pocket for the drawer bottom, allowing us to avoid nails that could split it. You can also see that the slides aren’t quite long enough, about 6 inches too short. That just means the drawer doesn’t come out all the way. No biggie.

Seventh Pic:

Test fit with drawer and all lids

I don’t have any pics of the drawer front, but it is just plywood cut to fit, grooved for the drawer bottom, and nailed in place.

On to the finishing of the box!!

1999 XJ - Sold
1988 XJ Cheif - Sold
post #3 of 22 Old 09-29-2005, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
el_chupo_

2012 JK Wrangler 

Here are some carpeting pics. What I did was use “poker table felt” from hobby lobby. Cost about 3 bucks per yard, I used 2 yards. For adhesive I used standard contact cement from Home Depot. For the bottoms of the drawers and compartment I first painted on the contact cement on both the wood and the felt. I then placed the felt into the bottom, making sure to have enough for the sides and front and back. I then took a razorblade and cut vertical lines at each corner, and pressed the sides into place. You have to do this with both sides of the corners, and you will end up cutting out a “V” shape for it to match. Think of a cardboard box to understand.

For the flat tops, I simply painted on the cement, and stretched it to cover. For the backs, I sucked, so I wont tell you how that went. I got my ideas for this stuff at caraudio.com. Go there for links on how to do this or ask here.

Pic 1:

This is how the top of the drawer came out, as well as the top of the middle compartment.

Pic 2, 3, and 4:

Some pics of the drawers and holes filled out.

1999 XJ - Sold
1988 XJ Cheif - Sold

post #4 of 22 Old 09-29-2005, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
el_chupo_

2012 JK Wrangler 

Pic 5:

The sub box. Yes, I know I cant caulk. But then all I did was run big beads and then smooth them with my finger. Several times. That is the finger wipe spot you see in the back of the box. It is airtight, and no one sees it, so I don’t care.

Pic 6:

Test fit in the jeep with my old sub box in the back. The old box fit in a 3000gt between rear shock towers, and it is ugly, I know.

Pic 7:

Clearance on the side

Pic 8:

All in, no sub.

I covered the sub with the same material, again with a write up found on caraudio.com. If you want 2 subs, I would suggest following the design of the box all the way across, with a storage area between them. You would lose the full depth all the way across, which I didn’t want to do. Cost was about 30 bucks, but all the wood, tools, screws, nails, glue were all already in the shop. Took about 8 hours to complete, but that took a week to find the time. I also had the help of my father and grandfather, both of which helped refine the design and make it work as we went along. It weighs around 40 lbs would be my guess, 50-55 with the sub and box. It is not anchored, but I cannot physically move it without using both hands and trying my hardest, and I am not a small guy. The handles are 1” webbing that my mom sew for me. The are screwed in with ½ inch screws.

Finished pics are at my car domain site.
Ask, post, and flame away.

Matt

1999 XJ - Sold
1988 XJ Cheif - Sold
post #5 of 22 Old 09-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Kow

Nice work man. Looks pretty sweet!

2006 Wrangler X

My right to own a gun is what protects your right to tell me I can't.
post #6 of 22 Old 09-29-2005, 11:36 AM
HuNtS

how ya likin that type-r?? i got a paiir of 12's in my jeep and i love em...

-'93 Cherokee------------------------------------------------
-273,500 miles young ----------------------------
-Manual Transmission w/hurst shift knob--------------
-2.5 i4 :( (i wanted a 4.0) lol------------------------------
-Chrysler 8.25" Rear-----------------------------------------
---Stock-------------------------------------------------------
post #7 of 22 Old 09-29-2005, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
el_chupo_

2012 JK Wrangler 

I like it alot. I was in the market, looked at w3's, 5500 and 7500 series from MTX, some ED and RE subs, just liked this one best for what I needed. I am thinking of stuffing it in a little bigger box, but it sounds great as it is. I just like experimenting.

Thanks

Matt

1999 XJ - Sold
1988 XJ Cheif - Sold
post #8 of 22 Old 09-30-2005, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
el_chupo_

2012 JK Wrangler 

look what I did, look look

1999 XJ - Sold
1988 XJ Cheif - Sold
post #9 of 22 Old 09-30-2005, 03:58 PM
Thayer

Nice woodworking!

I want one of those after seeing that Mythbusters episode about the tissue box killing somebody in a car accident. Even though the myth was busted, I don't want all my tools flying in my face in an accident.

1997 Cherokee Sport NAXJA #1255
RK 4.5" LA Kit
post #10 of 22 Old 09-30-2005, 04:25 PM
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayer
Nice woodworking!

I want one of those after seeing that Mythbusters episode about the tissue box killing somebody in a car accident. Even though the myth was busted, I don't want all my tools flying in my face in an accident.
I agree this is very cool, as was the MB episode; however, I note that the owner has elected not to secure this 40lb box in any way other than gravity--what would the MBs say about that?

'94 Cherokee Country
Engine: 4.0 HO, Sealed canister filter, 3 core CSF steel radiator, CatCo cat, Dynomax Turbo Flow muffler.
Electronics: Remote start/locks, Pioneer DEH-P7800MP w/XM, Polk Audio speakers, Garmin Nuvi 660 GPS, Cobra 148 GTL P&T w/Wilson 1000.
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
post #11 of 22 Old 09-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Thayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecompco
I agree this is very cool, as was the MB episode; however, I note that the owner has elected not to secure this 40lb box in any way other than gravity--what would the MBs say about that?
Gasp, I didn't notice that. I'm pretty sure in a head-on accident, that gigantic box won't get airborne though.

1997 Cherokee Sport NAXJA #1255
RK 4.5" LA Kit
post #12 of 22 Old 09-30-2005, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
el_chupo_

2012 JK Wrangler 

**********Disclaimer**************

ALWAYS secure things like this, dont be stupid like me!

that should take care of that.

I am sure mythbusters would chastise me, but I had to have 2 people to position it, I have to "put my back into it" to move it, and besides, this is a DD that sees dirt roads. Its the prototype for another for the 88.

1999 XJ - Sold
1988 XJ Cheif - Sold
post #13 of 22 Old 09-30-2005, 09:33 PM
isezumi00

Yours is by far the Box design which I like the MOST.

'91 XJ Laredo
Rustys 3" Coils Frankenleef rears||DT3000 shocks||JKS Quicker DQ
Optima Red Top||Mixin' match 31x10.5x15|| Rusty's HD Trac Bar
post #14 of 22 Old 09-30-2005, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
el_chupo_

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4PNY450
Yours is by far the Box design which I like the MOST.
WOOT WOOT!!!

thanks

1999 XJ - Sold
1988 XJ Cheif - Sold
post #15 of 22 Old 09-26-2008, 05:54 PM
jshaab2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

hey man . can you give me some dimensions on that sub enclosure im in the process of building a cargo deck and i want to incorporate the sub . but also make it were if i take out the deck the sub is still there. i need help desperately my woodshop teacher is gonna bug out on me if i dont have the design finished by monday

01 xj sport . SS headlights sound system . dakota AT's 235/75 sound system and front and rear recovery, CB . AUX lighting EXIT 105 NJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.