Stop the SQUEAK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Stop the SQUEAK

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
ambienttech

Stop the SQUEAK

I've got an '04 GC Laredo 4X4 with a squeak. It's a rear drivers side. It only happens when driving forward or making a right turn. I don't get it in reverse or during a left turn. If I put the whole back end up I can tell it's coming from the rear drivers tire. I've replaced the caliper, pads and rotor. New rear bearings. When I had them pressed the machinist didn't mention any warp, and when I spin the wheels I don't see any wobble at all from the wheel. I've had it in various shops and noone has been able to come up with any solutions or suggestions. I'm really running out of ideas. Can anyone give me anything new that I haven't tried? Thanks in advance

ambienttech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Control arm bushings?

And your in the wrong section. This is the XJ smaller Cherokee section. You need the WJ GC section.
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #3
sbxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetLifted View Post
Control arm bushings?

And your in the wrong section. This is the XJ smaller Cherokee section. You need the WJ GC section.
It also could be your swaybar. If you still have one remove it and see if the noise goes away. It worked for me and I can't tell any difference in handling.

'99 WJ Laredo, 4.0L with HID Retrofit
WJ HID Retrofit Pics
sbxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
ambienttech

I'm sorry about putting this in the wrong section. Also, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, with the back end off the ground I can still hear the squeak when I spin the tires. The swaybar is to far to the rear and the control arms are to low for either of them to be causing the squeak. When I get my head by the wheel while it's spinning it really appears to be coming from the brakes, of which is all new. Does anyone else have any ideas, please? I'm losing my mind.

EDIT: Just a thought, but if it was a bent axle shaft, wouldn't it squeak in reverse as well as drive?

Last edited by ambienttech; 12-09-2012 at 07:49 AM..
Unread 12-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

The tin rotor guard is bent and rubbing?
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
ambienttech

I wish. I just took it back apart to check that, too. And while it was apart again I re-greased the slide pins. That didn't help, either.

Tags
brakes , caliper , pads , rotor , squeak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.