Stereo Remote Wire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Stereo Remote Wire

LJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off RoadEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-16-2006, 12:30 PM   #1
mellow

Stereo Remote Wire

What gauge of wire would you think would be absolute necessary for this? My stereo remote wire doesn't work so what I'm doing is running a wire from the positive on my amp to the remote port on my amp, and just putting a toggle switch on it. Wouldn't 14 gauge wire and a 10 amp toggle switch be enough?

Jensen BP212 (2x12" 1200W Plexi Bandpass w/ LED's)
Cherrybomber GLASSPACK.
[/SIZE]
mellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2006, 12:37 PM   #2
cjwalkeriii
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You dont even need that thick of wire. 18 gauge with .5 amps is plenty... You can also just run a wire of your ignition so when the key is on so is the amp
cjwalkeriii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2006, 06:08 PM   #3
mellow

Even my stereo isn't like that :P

Right now I can turn my stereo on without my keys. Also, I want to be able to have my amp power 'on-demand' so I have the option of turning it off when I'm driving if need be. The speakers in my signature are no longer in it. Now I'm just running a single Jensen box with 2 12" subs rated at 1200W.

Yesterday my Jeep caught fire... I had the remote wire with a switch idea and somehow the switch fried and all of the wire got toasted. I'm not sure if it was the switch or the mixture of wire I was using. All day today I had it on with 14 gauge wire and it never overhated, so it must have been the cheap switch or the 18 gauge speaker wire I was using yesterday lol.

So I have a switch rated for 15 amps now, and I'm using 14 gauge wire throughout so hopefully it won't be a problem. Thanks for the input.
Cherrybomber GLASSPACK.
[/SIZE]
Unread 04-16-2006, 06:27 PM   #4
jeeper01

That sounds like an accident waiting to happen, thats why most radios have power buttons on them.
Unread 04-17-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
twisted_ed

DO NOT DO THIS. this will make ur amp on ALL the time, and will drain your battery, this happened to my Girlfriends car, dead every morning cause her amp would not turn off properly. run the remote wire to a toggle on the dash or to the ignition so it comes on only when the key is turned.
NP242 Transfer case
Dana 30 front, 35 custom rear differentials

Mods:

RE 4.5" Lift
32x11.50 BFGoodRich M/T KM's
American Eagle 058 Polished Aluminum Wheels, 3.63" BS.
Grand Cherokee Rear Disc Brake setup
Custom Downpipe W/ Cat Removed.
Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler.
Surco Roof Rack

My Jeep
twisted_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2006, 04:42 PM   #6
mellow

Incase you didn't read correctly, I said I'm going to use a switch and wire. I wouldn't hook it up and leave it - I'm not that stupid. I'm in the process of wiring a switch to the remote wire right now. Got the XJ in pieces, poor thing.
Cherrybomber GLASSPACK.
[/SIZE]
Unread 04-18-2006, 06:48 AM   #7
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you can turn your stereo on without the keys it is wired wrong plain and simple. Use the switched 12V line for a remote to the amp.

Here's a link to wiring colors (you may have to join the site, but it's free and has all kinds of useful information.)
91 XJ Wire colors
Unread 04-18-2006, 09:43 AM   #8
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Why would you want to wire any of the stereo components so that it will be able to be turned on without the keys? Thats just leading to dead batteries. I had my YJ radio wired like that, drained my battery. I didnt know if it was really turned off or not because the face plate was faulty. Everything should be on a switched 12v. If you put in another manual switch after that, thats fine.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2006, 09:55 AM   #9
pnpxtreme

Why wouldnt you just run a wire with an inline fuse to your fuse box on a fuse that was only on when the car was on?
pnpxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2006, 10:06 AM   #10
XJ-NoDough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnpxtreme
Why wouldnt you just run a wire with an inline fuse to your fuse box on a fuse that was only on when the car was on?
Well that would be too clean and easy... I wouldn't tap into the amp power wire with a switch, there is too much current there, fire and melting wire waiting to happen. Really I would think about a new head unit. The one you've got and all the band-aid solutions are just gonna be headaches, I've been there. But if a new unit is too far off I'd do the fuse block idea.
Leather, Loaded[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]4L Selec-trac[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]Automatic[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]3"-4.5"ish Homebrew lift[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]16x8 MB Motoring Rockers[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]265/75R16(31[SIZE="1"]ish[/SIZE]"X10.4") Goodyear Wrangler M/TRs[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]Trimmed w/ Bushwackers[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]Stock 3:55 gears[/B][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[B][COLOR=White]sans big audio[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=Red]Homebrew intake w/cone filter[/COLOR][/B]
"Some people are like a slinky... Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs." :my dad
XJ-NoDough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2006, 10:43 AM   #11
98RedLtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellow
I wouldn't hook it up and leave it - I'm not that stupid.
Your harness caught fire!!!! I don't think the above can be automatically assumed.
178,000 miles

"I once saw protestors holding paper signs on wooden sticks protesting timber cutting and I though...If they didn't cut the timber...How would they make their signs????"
98RedLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2006, 02:04 PM   #12
Blake
Redefining body roll

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Wait... you're putting a switch on the power wire or the remote wire? The thread says remote, but it sounds like you're talking about the power wire. No way you'd smoke a switch on the remote wire.

1999.5 Ford F250
6.8l V10 l Auto l 4WD l 4" Spring Lift | 4.30 Gears | 35" Treadwright MT/R's

Youtube

Twitter
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.