Stereo keeps power, but sound comes out randomly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Stereo keeps power, but sound comes out randomly

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
grandezj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Stereo keeps power, but sound comes out randomly

I have owned my XJ for a few months now and the stereo (stock P04858556AD, 4 speakers) or wiring has always not worked correctly, at first I thought it was one of the door speakers that the wire had broken to and it was shorting, but after I finally got time to fix the door wire I thought it would work properly, but i'm still in the same place with the stereo not working, I also thought this problem had to do with movement of something when I drive, because sometimes the sound comes back when i'm braking or steering, but when I was sitting here not moving or touching anything (with the ignition in accessory and it did it again with the ignition in on) the sound came back, then I started it and no more sound, every time the stereo loses power it seems to go quiet again, but sometimes it dosen't work for days, any idea what could cause this? The fuses are fine, and all the wiring seems to be ok superficially The stereo will occasionally stay working for a day or a few at a time, but then go back to being silent, I have no clue what makes it work intermittently, any help would be great

grandezj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like it's time for a decent aftermarket stereo.
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Which speakers are intermittent? Use the fader/front rear controls to isolate them. The door speakers are always subject to breakage. On my '99, the left door was the culprit. I also had intermittent lights in the door, window, and mirror backlights. Turned out to be bad ground, the wire pulled out of the lug. Never did find the lug, but replaced the lug and tied it into the speaker mounting hole, problem solved.
Do you have a meter, and know how to use it?

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
grandezj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWELK
Which speakers are intermittent? Use the fader/front rear controls to isolate them. The door speakers are always subject to breakage. On my '99, the left door was the culprit. I also had intermittent lights in the door, window, and mirror backlights. Turned out to be bad ground, the wire pulled out of the lug. Never did find the lug, but replaced the lug and tied it into the speaker mounting hole, problem solved.
Do you have a meter, and know how to use it?

Regards,

Jim W
All of the speakers go out, I have played with the fade and balance a lot when I'm stuck in traffic and got nada, and recently I quiet static out of all of the speakers, in addition to sound, every so often, which means that my wire patch works, and I used my multimeter to check if everything was good, and I got something, so I think that TheBoogieman might be right and my head unit is trashed somehow, because it has gotten progressively worse, gonna pull one out of the junkyard Monday (~$7 for a stock one with no tape or cd player) that will be the final test of all the wiring and will test my antenna (which is another thing that might be causing this) if that doesn't work, than I'm going to literally pull out every wire in this entire harness to find out what needs to be patched
Unread 04-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
pharunk
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Any update here? I think I have the exact same issue.

In short: When radio is operating, it will intermittently "shut off". Better said, there is no sound, although you can still see the station it is on (or the time, depending on what is selected). So you know that the unit has power, but it is not working.

Here is my saga: I have a 97 Cherokee Sport. When I bought the vehicle it had an aftermarket (JVC) stereo in it that worked fine. about two years ago, it started cutting out when the I turned the volume up high. Turning it down seemed to fix it. Fast forward to a few months ago, and it started cutting out at all volumes. As time went on, it started happening more and more. I wondered if there was an issue with the grounding, but since it goes into that spinal column of a harness, it was impossible to trace the wire back. So, I ran a separate ground from the frame under the door directly to the ground wire on the radio. No change, so I determined the ground is fine and went back to original connection. I also checked the fuse and it is fine. One night, I noticed that when it was not working, I did see two dim lights on the unit, so that told me it was getting power.

Today, I saw a stock stereo from a 99 (I think) on craigslist for $15 so i called and bought it. The 20 year old kid that sold it to me said it worked fine and he took it out two weeks ago when he bought an aftermarket unit. I put it in my Cherokee and it immediately worked, but intermittently! Same issue as I was driving home: Worked fine for a while, then cuts out, either for a few seconds or longer, sometimes many minutes at a time. Again, when it is not "working", I can still see the time/station display.

An added twist: With the stock radio in there, when it started working again, it is stuck on the same volume (about 4 out of 10). No matter where I turn the dial, the volume is that same level. Also, none of the other adjustments work (bass, treble, balance, fade)

Being that I am having the same issue with two different radios, one stock and the other an aftermarket, I am led to believe there are issues in the "spinal cord" wiring harness that disappears into the dash.

For the record, this Cherokee has over 200k miles and getting along on the rust. Also having intermittent power window issues and the rear wiper is not working. Assume the rear wiper motor is gone, but not sure

With all the Cherokee Sport owners out there, I have got to believe that others have had this radio issue and SOMEBODY must have figured it out by now. Anyone?
pharunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The OP needs a new stereo, and Pharunk needs to run new wires. It will be a PITA, but probably easier than finding the problems with the factory loom.
sAe23 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
pharunk
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I was afraid of that answer

I was hoping for a quicker fix. In any case,

1. Has anyone replaced this wiring harness for the radio? What kind of effort is involved?

2. I can't locate any visuals showing where the wires go as they split up before and/or after the firewall. Anyone have visuals of this, or a resource that tells me where the wires end up on the other end?

3. I am guessing one set of wires is for speakers inside the vehicle and the other set goes under the hood?

Help, anyone?
Unread 04-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The radio (stock or aftermarket) will have:
Power; SWITCHED power; Clock power; Display dimmer feed; speaker feeds (left/right, front/rear, +-).
Aftermarket might also have power antenna and remote amp leads.

You should get a copy of the factory service manual as your 1997 is different than my 1995 so I can't be sure of color codes on the wires.
You might just have a bad power (switched) wire, so you might want to start by running a temp wire to see if that helps.
Unfortunately, working under the dash is a PITA...
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #9
pharunk
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post
You might just have a bad power (switched) wire, so you might want to start by running a temp wire to see if that helps.
Unfortunately, working under the dash is a PITA...
Can I run a "jump" wire directly from the back of the radio right to the fuse panel to check it? Does the existing switched power wire touch anything else?
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:01 AM   #10
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

It's what I would try... it *shouldn't* hurt anything else.
Unread 05-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #11
grandezj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry for the late reply, got the new stereo in and everything's been great since, thanks!!
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
pharunk
1997 XJ Cherokee 

it doesn't appear that there are separate switched and clock wires. If i remove the fuse to the radio, the clock is not on. If there are separate wires, do they go to the same fuse?
Unread 05-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
grandezj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharunk
it doesn't appear that there are separate switched and clock wires. If i remove the fuse to the radio, the clock is not on. If there are separate wires, do they go to the same fuse?
Everything goes to the accessory or radio fuse

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.