step by step a/f ratio - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > step by step a/f ratio

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Cmense
1998 XJ Cherokee 

step by step a/f ratio

Can someone find me a link for a step by step thorough diagnosis to fix bad air to fuel ratio?

Cmense is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

How do you know the AFR is bad?

Does the Jeep run? Good? Rough?

Fail emissions testing?
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
Cmense
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
How do you know the AFR is bad?

Does the Jeep run? Good? Rough?

Fail emissions testing?
It passed emissions because In pa they just check the gas cap/ exhaust for holes. I have thick black soot in my tail pipe, just today started burning oil. Or at least I just noticed it today. But I have an exhust leak on the y pipe and have bad 02 sensors. A vaccum leak on the manifold gasket. Lol a bunch of crap. The jeep doesnt run perfect but I know Im running very rich with the tailpipe scent and soot. After fixing all of what I just mentioned I planned in maximizing my air to fuel ratio because its outta wack now. Obviously everything I stated also affects it I know but just so I dont overlook something it would be nive to havea step by step
Cmense is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Fix that **** first. That's the issue. When you've got a headache do you go in for a CAT scan or take an aspirin?

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmense View Post

It passed emissions because In pa they just check the gas cap/ exhaust for holes. I have thick black soot in my tail pipe, just today started burning oil. Or at least I just noticed it today. But I have an exhust leak on the y pipe and have bad 02 sensors. A vaccum leak on the manifold gasket. Lol a bunch of crap. The jeep doesnt run perfect but I know Im running very rich with the tailpipe scent and soot. After fixing all of what I just mentioned I planned in maximizing my air to fuel ratio because its outta wack now. Obviously everything I stated also affects it I know but just so I dont overlook something it would be nive to havea step by step
Fix all the leaks first, then replace the O2 sensors if it still isn't running correct. AFR is all based of the O2 readings and the MAP sensor data.

Burning oil is a whole different issue. you're either looking at massive PCV blow by or the piston rings or possibly the valve stem seals are going.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.