Steering Stiffness in 96 XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Steering Stiffness in 96 XJ

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 11-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Globalksp
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Steering Stiffness in 96 XJ

Hey all,

I drive my 96 XJ occasionally and when I do it's typically on the highway for a few hours at a time. Over the past two months (September & October) I've noticed that it's taking more and more arm strength to turn the Jeep.

I know that power steering fluid becomes less viscous (and thus less efficient) in cold weather, but, the weather hasn't gotten that much colder yet and it does not improve after the engine and environs have gotten to running temperature.

The first thing to go on the XJ after I purchased it (used, 3-4 years ago) was the power steering pump. It just failed one day on the highway. Since the installation of that new / current pump (3 years ago) I've had no issues.

I've not yet done any work on the system. Tomorrow (by the time most of you read this) I will have (hopefully) flushed the system with new fluid. The current fill of fluid is neither black nor foamy and looks to be in good shape.

I'm fearing that there is an issue that's burning up the PS pump and hoping to hear from you what could be causing that and/or any other ideas or experiences you've had with similar situations.

Thanks,

K

1996 XJ 4.0L Automatic
139,XXX miles
No modifications

Globalksp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
MikeT3
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I have the same problem on my 96 but it comes and goes. Looking forward to seeing some answers on this one.
MikeT3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.