Steering Knuckle/Brake Problem again!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Steering Knuckle/Brake Problem again!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 03-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
shaddady34

Steering Knuckle/Brake Problem again!!

I replaced my passenger steering knuckle 5 months ago on my 2001 xj. The ledges where the pad rests on were getting worn grooves into them and thus the caliper was getting hung up. I replaced the entired knuckle pads and got a rebuilt caliper. Now 5 months later i start to hear squeaking from that area. What do you know but there is a little groove already starting to where on the ledge surface. Does anyone know how to avoid this problem from happening and an alternative to replacing the knuckle..... any suggestions wlould be appreciated!!

shaddady34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
sprintagogo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

get a welder

I used a grinder to clean back to clean metal then put a good blob of weld onto the effected area then ground it back down to the correct profile. I am not sure about the rights and wrongs of welding cast/forged? items but it worked for me and was cheaper and far easier than replacing knuckles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Who's eric?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrogHooah View Post
Sprintagogo, you're absolutely amazing. I don't care what they say about yall over across the pond - you're a godsend!
sprintagogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
shaddady34

any other ideas why this is happening again after i replaced the knuckle and caliper??????
shaddady34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
SilverXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

grease the sliders on the knuckles and the bushings on the calipers. I found that the brake grease they sell in the little packages at the check out desk at places like Advanced Auto seem to work the best for the bushings and sliders.

Last edited by SilverXJ; 04-11-2008 at 08:55 PM..
SilverXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.