steering issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > steering issue

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 03-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
Johnd11
2000 XJ Cherokee 

steering issue

So seemingly at random it'll feel like my diff is locking when I'm driving, but i'm in 2 wheel drive. There doesn't seem to be any connection to the times that it happens. Could my diff be locking up or could there be a problem with the power steering unit? basically what should I be looking for?

Johnd11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
slickfreeze
1995 XJ Cherokee 

does the steering wheel rock back and forth when your turning? or what are the symptoms?
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

"ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy
slickfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
Johnd11
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Its hard to describe its less jumping back and forth than it will be harder at points during the turn to turn the wheel
could it be my steering fluid being dirty i dnt think ive changed it in a while
Unread 03-15-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
slickfreeze
1995 XJ Cherokee 

hmm. does it do it while moving and turning? or only when stopped and trying to turn the wheels? is there any whining noises from the power steering pump when it does it?
My first thought is the steering u-joints on the front axle are bad. When they go bad it can feel like the jeep is in 4wd when turning. you can sometimes hear a clicking noise while turning when they are bad. One way to check them is, one at a time jack the front wheel off the ground. Turn the wheel to full lock, then get out and spin the wheel by hand. If it binds up while trying to spin it, you know u have a bad joint. If they are worn enough you can also grab them with your hand and see if the have slop in the joint.
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

"ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy
Unread 03-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
Johnd11
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I havent noticed any whirring or anything like that but my jeep is very loud with the new flowmaster haha I'll have to check that out tomorrow thanks I'll update after I give it a try
Unread 03-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Johnd11
2000 XJ Cherokee 

all right so I'm fairly sure iut is the U joint the wheels were bindiing up like you said is replacing them an immediate concern and is it a complicated procedure or is it something that can wait without damaging anything else
Unread 03-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
slickfreeze
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I would change them sooner rather than later. The problem is those joints are always turning, even in 2wd. And if one fails it usually breaks the little ears off the axle. Then u are stuck buying a new axle. Those joints have also been suspect to cause death wobble when they get worn out.
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

Unread 03-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
Johnd11
2000 XJ Cherokee 

ah ok well the hopefully I'll have the time soon thanks
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
Johnd11
2000 XJ Cherokee 

so today while driving to school, i had a real annoying squeak/ chirp that sounds like a bad pulley or belt or something and my steering problem completely went away! Completely smooth! Could this be a bad power steering unit or something, my steerings always been..... heavy? i guess i would say, like it was underpowered or something.

Tags
steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.