steering box question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > steering box question

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 05-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #1
Johnd11
2000 XJ Cherokee 

steering box question

First a bit of background; Ive been getting the death wobble so I brought it to the mechanic to get an alignment and he said that my u-joints and ball joints on the passenger side were shot, so I replaced them. I still haven't gotten an alignment, I'm going in friday. Now when I turn the wheel, where there used to be a popping coming from under the driver ( I thought it may have been ball joints or lower control arm), now there's more of a grinding/ popping noise when I turn the wheel coming from the same place.

Replacing the u joint and ball joint seems to have fixed most of the death wobble problem but I still get vibes after a bump on the highway, but its much more subdued. Could this be the LCA or the steering box? Or should I see what happens after the alignment?
I'm lost thanks for any advice

Johnd11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Check your control arm bushings. As for the steering box, they're not prone to going bad but it's not unheard of for the brackets to brake causing movement in the steering box. Easiest way to check it is to just remove the driver's side bumper bolts and pull them out and the pull the bracket out from between the steering box and frame rail. If it's cracked or damaged replace it with a stronger aftermarket steel bracket.
Unread 05-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
um7267
1998 ZJ 

mine wobble lessoned when i put a new steering spacer bracket in, its fairly cheap to do ebay has them, jrc and another place i found them, if you do it be ready to break the bolts, i used a torch and vise grips to get them out after the snapped, the bolts you need to replace them with are 7/16x 14 coarse thread and 4 inches is the length
to the good times and the bad, the family we have and lost, little brother 1988-2011
um7267 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #4
Johnd11
2000 XJ Cherokee 

hey sorry it took so long to reply ive been moving into a new apartment
to check the control arm bushings do I just shake around the control arm? or do I actually have to take it off and inspect it? And how much play, if any should the control arms have?
Thanks for the help
Johnd11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.