Steering Box Adjustment Nut - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Steering Box Adjustment Nut

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 11-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Steering Box Adjustment Nut

Hey All,

So while installing my CB, I decided that I was going to check out my steering. I believe that the box is probably shot based on my loose steering wheel, burnt PS fluid, and other factors. For the past few days prior, I have sprayed the steering box adjuster with PB Blast and Deep Creep. The thing WILL NOT budge. Are there any suggestions on what to do? The area is to small (and fragile parts to close to) to get a torch in there to heat the nut.

I know that I should remove the box and adjust the preload, then do the over center adjustment...but if Im going to be taking the box off, I might as well do the Durango upgrade.

Unread 11-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
kenC
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i double locked a stubby 5/8 wrench and a regular size 1 and it broke loose with some effort
kenC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.