steering binding - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > steering binding

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 10-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
slickfreeze
1995 XJ Cherokee 

steering binding

So I was out wheeling today and I noticed everytime I locked the front dif, my steering would bind up. I could only turn slightly left or right on flat ground. I had my wheels turned to the left once and I could not straighten them until I unlocked and and rocked back and forth a few times. Nothing in the steering was bound up as far as the tie rods etc. I did the durango box upgrade not to long ago, not sure if this could be part of the problem?? anyone have an ideas??

_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

"ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy
slickfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

That is part of having a front locker. Did you upgrade your pump when you did the Durango box? The oem pump won't be able to keep up very well with the higher flow box and may contribute to that as well.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
slickfreeze
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I had a front locker in my tj and it never locked the steering like that. Ya i did upgrade the pump but i may have ruined it putting the pump pully on
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

"ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy
Unread 10-08-2012, 02:52 AM   #4
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Could be a pump problem, might want to upgrade to a smaller diameter pulley for increased pump RPMs/ power close to idle/ low engine RPMs. If that won't cut it, get a better pump (ie. PSC).

I never really had problems on my XJs running 35s (occassionally needed to hit the throttle a bit to get a bit more power to the steering), but my ZJ really doesn't want to turn the wheels with front locker engaged even if I give it gas.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
slickfreeze
1995 XJ Cherokee 

well just for an update, I went out today and everything worked fine. I could turn full stop to stop with no binding or anything. So now I dont know what to think. if I didnt get enough space between the box and frame would that cause any issues?
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

Unread 10-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Spacing wouldn't be a big issue, other than possibly cracking the mounting ears off of the box.

If you wheel all day long, you may overheat the power steering fluid, which in turn will cause all sorts of issues.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Unread 10-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Have you checked everything out at full flex I make sure nothing is binding?
Unread 10-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
slickfreeze
1995 XJ Cherokee 

No I havnt checked it at full flex, I will do that today. I am going on a pretty rough trail so the problem should show itself again. The more I thought about it I think it might have something to do with flexing. maybe the pitman is binding against the drag link? And Timo it was hot where I was wheeling so I could see it overheating. but I also have an oil cooler on the PS pump.
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

Unread 10-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
slickfreeze
1995 XJ Cherokee 

well I guess I will give up for now, I cant get it to lock up again. thanks for your input gentlemen.
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

Unread 10-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

If it starts binding again on the trail, check immediately for something not having enough room for steering. From the description you wrote I though it was doing it at all times when front locker was engaged, not just under full flex.

It is fairly common to run into some binding issues at full flex, many times you only notice the issues only when you get onto trails. Trying to checking every possible situation in the garage doesn't really work, don't ask me how I know

***Under construction***
Unread 10-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #11
slickfreeze
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Ha ya sorry i kindof contradicted myself. The first time it did it I was in a bad spot flexed out. (wouldnt turn right) I had to unlock the locker and move back and forth a few times to get it to turn. then I moved it to a flat surface (pavement) stopped and locked the front and tried to turn back and forth. It would turn left a little, but wouldnt turn right past center. I cant get it to replicate itself since that day though. I went out wheeling a pretty rough trail yesterday it it worked like a champ with the axle locked or unlocked. Im guessing that spot I was in got something out of place, but it must have fixed itself haha I really dont know. I am just gonna keep wheeling it and keep an eye on it.
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

Unread 10-12-2012, 01:24 AM   #12
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Might want to also check the fluid level; on the other hand if it was low you'd hear the howling it makes

***Under construction***
Unread 10-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #13
slickfreeze
1995 XJ Cherokee 

well I found the problem, it was the rugged ridge steering setup. That thing is junk! I put on the currie system and the difference is huge! That will teach me to buy the cheap stuff.
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

Unread 10-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #14
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickfreeze
well I found the problem, it was the rugged ridge steering setup. That thing is junk! I put on the currie system and the difference is huge! That will teach me to buy the cheap stuff.
Glad you came to your senses

Currie is the way!
Unread 10-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #15
SnowYJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

haha good call!

Tags
steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.