It starts again..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > It starts again.....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW ZJ Grand Cherokee Tube DoorsGibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!

Unread 02-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
RockRodHooligan
1996 XJ Cherokee 

It starts again.....

Some of you may have seen my build in the "Jeep Builds" section, "Parking lot Pre-Runner" but I figured I'd start a second thread here to try and share the info where it will be put to the best use.

Just over a year ago I bought my 2nd XJ, 96, 2 door, Sport, Up Country Suspension/skid plate package, 4.0L, AW4, NP231, HP30, 8.25. The best part? I picked it up for a grand.

This Jeep used to belong to one of the founding members of IndyORV, Gary. Anyone who ran around with us when he was still around will understand why this Jeep will always have an air freshener to combat the "Old Man Smell"

This Jeep has changed hands a couple of times since he owned it, but it never strayed too far from the club. This thing has it's areas that it's in outstanding condition, and not so much in others. A lot of the problems it has are fairly minor, the interior is pretty gross, but there are no rips or tears and the seats are still pretty comfy. Kind of surprising since it has 220k on it. The body has several dents and dings down low(a result of Gary wheeling it I'm sure) but they aren't very noticeable aside from a dented fender, and the paint is in great shape. It runs like a top too.

So the count down has begun: I'm shooting to have the jeep on 33's and running for the IndyORV open run next month. I've got a few big items to buy, tires/wheels, leafs, Poly brackets, SYE, shocks.... And then find the time to instal it all between working full time, and school full time...

Building this mostly(75%) for looks, since I live in central Indiana there really isn't a lot of good places for a prerunner to stretch it legs unless I wanna go tearing off through some farmers muddy field, and that's not what I would consider prerunning, not to mention I hate mud.

It's just not in my nature to build something that's "all show, no go", so this is going to have the equipment to be used and abused from time to time, even though it may be few and far between. Think of it as my own.... Poor mans Raptor.

Upgraded ground/charging/starting cables to 2ga welding wire
Die Hard Platinum Marine battery
136 amp alternator
Custom mandrel bent cat-back with 2.5" Magnaflow cat and muffler
PSC power steering pump with cooler
Transmission cooler
LeBaron hood vents
Putco headlight harness, Autopal housings, Hella H4 xenon bulbs, LED brake, turn, and side maker lights
Oldsmobile Aurora reverse lights
Taurus fan, Volvo fan controller, BMW temp switch, full auto fan control, powered off the ignition to run even if the engine is not
4" Currie progressive rate coils
OME 3.5" leaf springs w/1" OME AAL(going to pull the AAL, and replace with shackle relocation bracket and RE shackle)
Synergy Suspension track bar/bracket/brace
IRO front BPEs
Rancho 5000 shocks(temporary till I get the long arms on)
Procomp LCAs(also temporary till I get long arms)
JB Conversions SYE
33x12.5 BFG All Terrains
15x8 American Racing Outlaws

Parts on order/waiting to go on: (on order) HD Off-road shackle relocation brackets, Synergy Suspension long arm brackets, (on the shelf)3 link long arms w/Duroflex joints, Pure Jeep HD cross member, RuffStuff battery box and rear cargo battery mount, Hannemann fiberglass fenders, new header panel/grill, 97+ washer reservoir, RE SS brake lines for the front.

Potential body mods:
97+ doors
2x3-1/8" square tube rocker-sliders
Customized 98+ hood
8.8 swap

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
***** inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 10:12 PM   #2
RockRodHooligan
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Things have been slow moving but I've constantly been throwing stuff at it since I got it, so if it seems like I've not been making much progress, here's why.

The list of maintenance so far is a lot bigger than the mod list, but so far:
Upgraded ground/charging/starting cables to 2ga welding wire
Die Hard Platinum Marine battery, RuffStuff battery box
136 amp alternator
Custom cat-back with 2.5" Magnaflow cat, muffler, and Mandrel bent tail pipe
PSC power steering pump with cooler
Transmission cooler
LeBaron hood vents
Putco headlight harness, Autopal housings, Hella H4 xenon bulbs, LED brake, turn, and side maker lights
Taurus fan, Volvo fan controller, BMW temp switch, full auto fan control, powered off the ignition to run even if the engine is not.

Quote:
***** inches...
Unread 02-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
RockRodHooligan
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Got the OME leafs, PolyPerformance leaf spring hangers and OME AAL are on order. Think I'm going to wait till the 8th to order my wheels and tires, looks like 4 Wheel Parts is having their March Madness sale and I may be able to save a bit more, so far they have everyone else beat, but I also like that Discount Tire will road force balance and throw in lifetime balance and rotation, and will price match.

Only things left are SYE and shocks, that should be the big stuff to get it wheel-able for the IndyORV run, that is if I can find the time to get it all put on...

Also picked up something for a later project while I was at Pull a Part today, reverse lights from a first gen Oldsmobile Aurora. I'll get around to those when I start the body work to repaint the jeep.
image.jpg  

Quote:
***** inches...
Unread 02-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
RockRodHooligan
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Wheels are on order, estimated delivery 3/3-3/6. Tires are getting ordered next week as soon as my GI Bill check hits.

Quote:
***** inches...
Unread 02-25-2014, 10:47 PM   #5
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Subscribed.

You've got pretty similar plans that I've been thinking of on building either an XJ or (V8) ZJ as a toy that can be trashed around a bit.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
RockRodHooligan
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I got a little surprise from work this afternoon and have an extra $700 that's going into the Jeep fund, giving me the opportunity to order tires, PolyPerformance long arm brackets, JB Conversions SYE, and HD Off-road frame stiffeners next week.

Quote:
***** inches...
Unread 02-27-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

What is better about 97 doors?
sAe23 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #8
RockRodHooligan
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post
What is better about 97 doors?
Nothing big, the mirrors are bigger, and since they hadn't had the vent window as an option in quite some time, they made the window one piece, eliminating the post for the vent window obstructing part of your view of your mirror(at least it does on my 2 door). The biggest reason I want to is I have a butt sized dent in both doors from people who don't know how to properly close a door, and I plan on repainting the jeep, it would be as good as time as any to do it.

Quote:
***** inches...
Unread 02-27-2014, 11:45 PM   #9
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Hmm... Since those reasons sound pretty good, I'm guessing that the 97 body is different than my 95...?
sAe23 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 07:39 AM   #10
RockRodHooligan
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post
Hmm... Since those reasons sound pretty good, I'm guessing that the 97 body is different than my 95...?
Not much different, just about everything from a 84-96 will swap to a 97-01 and vice-versa (with a little bit modification in some areas), save for the rear hatch and tail lights, I don't know that I've seen anyone attempt that because the hinges are compleatly different.

Quote:
***** inches...
Unread 02-28-2014, 08:07 AM   #11
DNFJ
Wannabe Desert Rat

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Heard the term pre runner, I'm subbed.

Previous:
'00 TJ 2" on 33" Grabbers
'00 XJ 6.5" on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2" on 31" Baja Claws
'93 ZJ - Stock, Totaled
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #12
RockRodHooligan
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I may or may not have gotten a $300 surprise from the VA this morning.... Just need to see what they are going to do with the check I get next week before I make any moves. If all goes the way it looks like it should, I'm gonna go ahead and order the PureJeep crossmember to go with the PolyPerformance long arm brackets.... I sware these look like they were almost made for each other, as both mimic the way the MJs mount their crossmember.

Using the two inner mounting holes of the crossmember, it may not make a massive difference because the stock crossmember is a joke, but the Poly/PureJeep combo is significantly more robust, made of 3/16" and 1/4", and spreading the load out over a much larger area, even larger once I add frame stiffeners and rocker sliders.

I'm trying to talk to both Poly and PureJeep to find out as much information possible to see if there is any reason these two components wouldn't work together with minor modification.

Quote:
***** inches...
Unread 02-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #13
RockRodHooligan
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Surprise from the VA was legit, so tires and PureJeep crossmember are on order, tires should be here Wednesday, crossmember is made to order, said something about a 30 day lead time. Poly long arm brackets, and SYE are getting ordered next week when I get the bonus from work and normal GI Bill check. After looking at the Poly long arm and leafspring brackets I realized just how much of the frame rails they cover, I would end up cutting almost 2/3 of the stiffeners off, so I'm just going to fab something up to bridge the gap.

Quote:
***** inches...
Unread 03-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #14
RockRodHooligan
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Wheels showed up yesterday, still waiting on the GI Bill to hit. May have to hold off a little longer on the Poly long arm brackets, I have a feeling my MetalCloak track bar isn't going to come through in time, so I'm planing like I'm going to have to buy one, probably going to go with the Poly one since it's designed to go with the bracket.

The tentative instal date is the 17th, so remaining parts are going to have to start flying in now.

Next week is spring break so I'm going to go up to my dads and get the new gas tank instaled, gas tank skid, and new mandrel bent tail pipe from Dynomax put in(slightly modified of course). I'll also start spraying things down with my Acetone/ATF mix and breaking bolts loose in prep for the lift. Probably do my new steering too if I have time.

Hannemann Fiberglass is comming home as well, time to start prep work on them.
image.jpg  

Quote:
***** inches...
Unread 03-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #15
RockRodHooligan
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Selfie!!!!
image.jpg  

Quote:
***** inches...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.