Starting problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Starting problems

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-20-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
snuffandstuff
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Starting problems

I am having trouble finding what the problem is with the start. the engine cranks but it doesnt turn over. ive replaced the starter put in a new battery and also replaced the CPS. Im running out of options and its starting to drain the money so if someone could help that would be great! its a 4.0 liter with 124k on it... Thanks!

snuffandstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
MarkwithaK
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Had this same issue when I bought my XJ, ended up being the coil.
MarkwithaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
snuffandstuff
1996 XJ Cherokee 

ill check that as well thanks. any other suggestions?
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
GtiKyle
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Check for spark : Pull a spark plug, and place on an engine ground...crank and watch for spark.
Are you getting fuel? - smell like fuel? you could also pull an injector to see if squirting.
Check all grounds - Clean and sand your grounds to make sure your ECU is getting good voltage.
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #5
snuffandstuff
1996 XJ Cherokee 

yeah i can definitely smell fuel. i dont know if it makes any difference but i left it overnight and it started the next day. i turned it off and went to start it again and it just cranks but doesnt catch. im gonna go to advance auto and get a new coil and see if thats it.
Unread 10-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Just see if there is fuel pressure to the fuel rail. Use a fuel pressure gauge for accurate info.

I don't know about pulling an injector to see if it's squirting. In my experience, the coil is not usually the problem...more like the CPS...which is why you need to check for spark first.

Then...spark + fuel + air = vrooom! Simple.

Tags
start problems , starting , starting issue

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.