Starting Problem and No Air problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Starting Problem and No Air problem

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-12-2006, 12:02 AM   #1
johnflores

Starting Problem and No Air problem

Greetings. I have a 1987 Cherokee Pioneer, 4.0l 4WD Automatic, that I am rebuilding for my kid. When I try to start it, the engine will turn over a couple of times and then sound like it is going to die, like the battery is being drained. Eventually it will start but it takes a several seconds of this turning over, almost die, routine before it does. Any ideas what my be going on?

The other issue I have is that when I turn on the fan, there is no air coming through any of the vents except the defroster vents below the windshield. Again, any suggestions? Ideas?

As always, your feedback, help, ridicule, is very much appreciated. Cheers.

johnflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 01:41 AM   #2
XJING

Welcome to the Forum. First on the starting issue, your 87 is what is known as a renix motor, It has a renix fuel injection system in it. It takes two complete revolutions of the crank to start the vehicle. (It has something to do with the sensors all "seeing" each other)
That being said, Check your battery terminals and cables for corrosian and tightness. check the ground strap at the back of the motor to the fire wall.
I am going to put a link at the end of this for you to go and to read it will help get you going in the right direction.
As for the air only comming out the defrost. You have a vacuum canister under the right front bumper, its about the size of a softball. it should not be cracked and have two lines going to it. follow the line to make sure its not cracked all the way to the firewall. One of the places it tends to deteriorate is under the battery box. (from spilled batery acid) another is right at the ball itself, If you have cruise control this vacuum canister works for that as well. you fix the vacuum issue you will have all your vents back. Heres the link, all these upgrades are inexpnsive and work great. Good Luck.
http://www.olypen.com/craigh/tech.htm
Unread 11-12-2006, 08:21 AM   #3
anony91xj

For the starting problem, check the timing, crank, and cam sensors. When that happens, it's usually the engine loading up with fuel.

For the vent problem, check the vacuum canister XJING mentioned and lines as well. Both my XJ's had that vacuum line broken, but the canisters were both OK.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.