Starting Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Starting Issue

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 10-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
RL-139
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Starting Issue

I know there are a million threads on xj starting issuesbut i cant seem to find one relating to my issue.

So i went to go to work yesterday morning & she wouldnt start, I went through all the standards, Air was ok, I had spark which leaves fuel so i hit it with some sarting fluid & she fired up & died right out. Later in the evening I had my wife ohp in shut the door & turn the key on while i listned for the fuel pump & nothing.

The temp didnt drop below 50 over wednesday night.
This morning I went & picked up my multi-meter & new fuel pump, When I got back for ****s & giggles I gave it another shot & she fired right up several times & I can hear the pump kick on.

Any Thoughts?

Unread 10-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

There is a "relay" for the fuel pump in the power distribution center, the black box under the hood on the passenger side.

Before you install that new fuel pump, you might try swapping the fuel pump relay with a non-critical relay and see if that resolves it. These relays are all the same part number so no issue with swapping.

If a relay swap takes care of your problem, then replace the suspect relay.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
RL-139
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalker View Post
There is a "relay" for the fuel pump in the power distribution center, the black box under the hood on the passenger side.

Before you install that new fuel pump, you might try swapping the fuel pump relay with a non-critical relay and see if that resolves it. These relays are all the same part number so no issue with swapping.

If a relay swap takes care of your problem, then replace the suspect relay.
That was one of the first things i tried.
this just doesnt make sence to me
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
MrB
2006 TJ Wrangler 

A fuel pump can go bad intermittently. If you were turning the key and not hearing the fuel pump it was either in a deadspot as far as the fuel pump motor is concerned or it wasn't getting power. If you tried swapping the relay and nothing happened I'd be looking at the fuel pump.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL-139 View Post
That was one of the first things i tried.
this just doesnt make sence to me
You should post everything you have tried; failure to do so makes for going "the long way around".....

Replace your fuel pump assembly if all wiring checks out with a thorough inspection.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fuel , starting trouble , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.