Starter? Starter Relay? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Starter? Starter Relay?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-09-2007, 08:23 AM   #1
bills79jeep

Starter? Starter Relay?

My Jeep is DEAD as of this morning. The battery gauge shows 12v and when I turn the key absolutely nothing happens. At Autozone, a starter relay is only $8.99 while a starter is like $70. Previous to today I have had zero problems with starting. When other starters have died, they have had slow deaths. That's why I'm thinking possibly the relay.

Any ideas? Also, is the relay in the engine compartent fuse box or the one on the passenger side by the door?

bills79jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2007, 08:35 AM   #2
jfiscus
1993 XJ Cherokee 

You can jump the starter relay with a piece of wire around 3' long. Just touch it to the positive terminal on the battery & to the wire going to the starter solenoid on the relay (thick green wire?). If it starts that way, then you know your starter is good & it's probably the starter relay or the box on the column. (Put your key in "run" & jump it to have it start the motor.)

Have you had any problems with your reverse lights?
It could also be your NSS, try starting it in neutral & moving the shifter while turning the key.
Local to Cincinnati, Ohio? Check out our club! [url]http://www.terrainstompers.com[/url]
jfiscus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
96yeepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfiscus
You can jump the starter relay with a piece of wire around 3' long. Just touch it to the positive terminal on the battery & to the wire going to the starter solenoid on the relay (thick green wire?). If it starts that way, then you know your starter is good & it's probably the starter relay or the box on the column. (Put your key in "run" & jump it to have it start the motor.)

Have you had any problems with your reverse lights?
It could also be your NSS, try starting it in neutral & moving the shifter while turning the key.
or swap it for another relay that is in the same area... IE A/C, fan...
96yeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
jfiscus
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96yeepster
or swap it for another relay that is in the same area... IE A/C, fan...
That is not the starter relay I am speaking of, I mean the one with all the wires attached to posts on it. You are speaking of the fuse panel, correct?
Local to Cincinnati, Ohio? Check out our club! [url]http://www.terrainstompers.com[/url]
Unread 05-09-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
bills79jeep

The one in the fuse panel, which fuse panel are you refering to? Also, could I bypass it with some wires with alligator clips? Or does it need to be pretty heavy gauge?

Thanks guys.
Unread 05-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #6
TwoOne
1999 WJ 

Mine did this to me, which I think was a result of bad wiring, in the end after replacing the starter solenoid and doing a whole bunch of messing around I ended up just wiring a pushbutton starter switch to where I just turn the key on, push the button and it cranks. Pretty good theft deturrent as well because you can't plainly see where the button is
Unread 05-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #7
96yeepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfiscus
That is not the starter relay I am speaking of, I mean the one with all the wires attached to posts on it. You are speaking of the fuse panel, correct?
there is only one starter relay.
It (depending on year) like on my 96 is under the hood in the power distribution block.
It is a compact rectangular 5 pin type.
What I think you are referring to is the starter selinoid, which is actually mounted on the starter. If that goes bad it will also create a no start situation, however, you might want to check to make sure the selinoid is getting voltage reference from the ignition wire.

I would only install a bypass if you cannot find an obvious cause for the problem.
I have seen alot of people do it wrong and it ends up causing a fire that destroys the car.

I am not dissing anyone here who has done one, but I hate it when I get a vehicle and have to fix stupid crap like that that someone has done instead of actually fixing the problem correctly.
96yeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
jfiscus
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96yeepster
there is only one starter relay.
It (depending on year) like on my 96 is under the hood in the power distribution block.
It is a compact rectangular 5 pin type.
What I think you are referring to is the starter selinoid, which is actually mounted on the starter. If that goes bad it will also create a no start situation, however, you might want to check to make sure the selinoid is getting voltage reference from the ignition wire.

I would only install a bypass if you cannot find an obvious cause for the problem.
I have seen alot of people do it wrong and it ends up causing a fire that destroys the car.

I am not dissing anyone here who has done one, but I hate it when I get a vehicle and have to fix stupid crap like that that someone has done instead of actually fixing the problem correctly.
I know this photo is of an 89, but I have one on my 93 XJ in the same location:
http://autorepair.about.com/library/images/bl347lib.htm
Check for one, it's kind of hidden right behind the battery. I know it's there and a common problem, as I've had a couple go bad on a couple different XJs.
The starter solenoid is down on the starter on every year of XJ, besides possibly diesels - I never replaced my diesel's starter.
Unread 05-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #9
bills79jeep

Thanks guys, you have all been a big help, I am going to go to autozone and get some parts. I have a Haynes manual that will hopefully help, though it is crappy and usually doesn't.
Unread 05-09-2007, 05:34 PM   #10
bills79jeep

Which realy is it on a '98. Mine doesn't look like the picture.
Unread 05-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #11
XJdamyankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills79jeep
Which realy is it on a '98. Mine doesn't look like the picture.
Look in your haynes or try your owners manual. One of the 2 should have a pic of it. Before you go buy something you dont need just figure out which one it is and switch it with another one thats in there. I believe thier are 3 in there that use the same kind.
OME 2" lift & shocks, RE super-ride control arms
XJdamyankee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2007, 07:11 PM   #12
red96jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills79jeep
My Jeep is DEAD as of this morning. The battery gauge shows 12v and when I turn the key absolutely nothing happens. At Autozone, a starter relay is only $8.99 while a starter is like $70. Previous to today I have had zero problems with starting. When other starters have died, they have had slow deaths. That's why I'm thinking possibly the relay.

Any ideas? Also, is the relay in the engine compartent fuse box or the one on the passenger side by the door?

sounds like the same thing that was happing to my jeep not to long ago. is their power going into the relay box from the ignition? mine didnt have any so i just bought a new ignition piece and put it in. that seemed to fix it. but every now and then it happen's again so i assume it's an eletrical gremlin that i will never fix.
Rocky Mountain Edition Club member #4
project vehicle
new 2002 jetta 1.8t DD
red96jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2007, 07:57 PM   #13
bills79jeep

Ok, so I installed the new starter after the new relay did nothing. It didn't work either, so I gave it a few taps with a hammer and it started up. My friend that works at a Jeep dealership said that this means that it is a faulty starter and I should exchange it for another new one.

Anyone have any advice on this?
Unread 05-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #14
KamekLocked
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah sticking starter could be the brushes, etc. Does it go 'click' when you try to start it??? That means the solenoid is engadging but the starter motor is faulty (or not enough voltage rom the battery, bad batter terminals, bad wiring to starter, or bad ground).

All you really had to do is check for power at the start terminal of the solenoid when they key is in the crank position and that will either tell you the starting cirucit (ignition, nss, starter relay and wiring) is operating fine to that point or not. 10 seconds would save you hours of useless troubleshooting.
Optima Yellow Top l Custom Headlight Harness
Alpine CDA-9886

Last edited by KamekLocked; 05-09-2007 at 09:08 PM..
KamekLocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #15
Goldenknob
2007 WK 

I had the same problem a few weeks ago.. I ended up replacing my ground cable from battery to engine block and that was my problem... everything else worked, just the engine wouldn't turn over or click or anything, only click I had was ignition relay. check your battery cables to engine block and to starter to see if they are damaged or loose.
Goldenknob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.