is it the starter or something else - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > is it the starter or something else

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-29-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
snuffandstuff
1996 XJ Cherokee 

is it the starter or something else

i have a 96 xj auto and im having problems with getting her started. about a week ago i got back from a trip taking it about 200 miles away and the next day i went to start it to go to work and nothing happened. i got power on the dash and my radio turned on it just wouldnt crank. the battery says its only 2 years old. so i let it sit for a week til i got my paycheck and yesterday i went to check to see if its the nns i just happened to try to turn it on normally and it started just fine would this be a problem with a starter? i just dont want to go out and start blowing money on parts unnecessarily

snuffandstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
bdodge
1997 XJ Cherokee 

It is possible, those mini's aren't very reliable IMO. The next time it acts up crawl under and rap on the starter a few times with a hammer, normally it's the brush's shorting and the pounding temporarily fixes the short. If it starts right away after that then your starter is more than likely failing and will need to be replaced before it leaves you stranded somewhere.
97' Cherokee sport 2 DR / 4.0 Power Tech, 5 spd MAN, Command trac / Dana M30/181MM front axel, Corporate 8.25 rear axel / 6.5" Bastard lift, 31X10.5 Daytona futura's on Cragar 15X8 soft 8's, Logans Metals Front winch bumper, Flowmaster super 44, Magnoflow high flow cat
bdodge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
start problems , starter , starter issue , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.