starter problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > starter problems?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.com

Unread 11-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
yeti92
1996 XJ Cherokee 

starter problems?

so about two years ago the original starter was going and i could start it with a screw driver. so i replaced it that starter lasted about a year and a half so i took it back and got another one about 2 months ago and about a week after i had that one it wouldnt start. so i started it twice with the screwdriveer and then the 3rd time nothing then i foud the 40 amp fuse under the hood was blown. i changed that and it started. it was fine up untill today and i went to work ran for lunch went back but when i went to leave work it wouldnt start. so i checked that fuse it was fine, then i tried the screw driver underneith twice and nothing. i checked the fuse after that and it was blown so i replaced it and it still wont start. idk why i am eating starters up like this or what is then blowing the fuse under the hood but it doesnt do anything the starters seem to be froze up when. any ideas why this is happening and it wont start some times would be great thanks in advance

yeti92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Where did you buy the replacement starter ?

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
yeti92
1996 XJ Cherokee 

napa and after the first one i bought i have had two other replacments from them on
Unread 11-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

NAPA starters are better than most. Do you have the starters tested for failure ?

Describe the no-start. When it happens what do you see, feel, and hear ? What does the Jeep do, or not do ? Why are you using a screwdriver ? What else besides the starter have you tested or replaced (wires, battery, alternator) ?

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
Unread 11-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
yeti92
1996 XJ Cherokee 

when i turn the key it just makes a tick tick kinda noise or like a knock knock. all the warning things show up on the dash like normal when you first turn a key. also all the lights and radio work, the battery is new, and i have had the electrical system tested as fine. i am useing a screwdriver to jump the starter at the bolts you could use whatever metal i just used a screw driver to jump it.
Unread 11-20-2011, 11:44 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Clicking and not starting is a low voltage issue from:
  • leaving the lights on
  • a failing battery
  • a failing alternator
  • dirty or loose wire connections
  • internally corroded wires
Faulty wires or poor wire connections will have high electrical resistance that can blow fuses or possibly damage the starter. Relays are inexpensive, replace the starter relay.

Perform routine maintenance of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, scrape, and clean until shiny, the cable/wire ends, and whatever they bolt to. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad connections, or poor grounds.

Have the battery, starter and the alternator Load Tested for proper functions.

Unread 11-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
yeti92
1996 XJ Cherokee 

ok i will have to check out those other wires as mentioned. thanks for the help
Unread 11-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
yeti92
1996 XJ Cherokee 

well she is fixed and back on the road. the first thing i went to do was disconect the battery and apon doing so the positve terminal pulled apart on one side. till i got it of and the bolt out it pulled into 3 pieces. it was supposed to be corrosing free ones i got at napa and they didnt look corroded but aparently it was just eating it from the battery terminal side out. so thank you for all your possible suggestions because it was electrical just about the easiest one to find and fix.
Unread 11-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just get lead terminals.
Unread 11-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
yeti92
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i never seen them before do they have em at napa and advanced or do you need to order them somewhere?
Unread 11-26-2011, 10:26 PM   #11
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

You should be able to find standard connectors at any auto part store. Just cut the tip of the battery cable and remove about half an in of insulation.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #12
yeti92
1996 XJ Cherokee 

but wont they still corrode then
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #13
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Batteries provides electrons through redox reactions, pretty much anything will eventually corrode... I don't know, get them in gold
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #14
yeti92
1996 XJ Cherokee 

sure thing lol

Tags
crank , fuse , start , starter

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.