Starter Issues..new starter... ground issue maybe..?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Starter Issues..new starter... ground issue maybe..??

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Starter Issues..new starter... ground issue maybe..??

So my wife recentlty took my jeep to work while I did some work on her car, well she calls me , JEEP wont start, I went up there tried to jump it and arc the starter and solenoid got nothing so I replaced the starter and got it started we stopped at sonic on the way home and went to turn the engine over and nothing! just clicked... turned it off and back on nothing again... click, played around with the battery and grounds and wires and a little bit, finally started up, I brought it home and cleaned up all the muddy and dirty wires, its been starting fine but today it dit it again, wiggled the wires and it started again, yes sound like a short but there is no burnt, or exposed wires that I can see.... does anyone else have any other ideas what this could be?

Last edited by Camfam07; 05-29-2012 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: punctuation and corrected spelling.
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

There are two terminals on the starter motor, the power from the battery and the solenoid activation from the ignition switch. Connect a fresh wire from the solenoid and tap it on the positive battery terminal. If it turns over your issue is with the wiring between the ignition switch and the solenoid.

Hope this helps
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond-x View Post
There are two terminals on the starter motor, the power from the battery and the solenoid activation from the ignition switch. Connect a fresh wire from the solenoid and tap it on the positive battery terminal. If it turns over your issue is with the wiring between the ignition switch and the solenoid.

Hope this helps
Now I have used a screw driver to touch the 2 together and when this happens it clicks and sparks but never turns over, I dont know if im getting enough connection on it, but has to be a short somewhere, because all I have to do is wiggles wires around and it will start up, gotta be a wire somewhere I think.
Unread 05-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

A dead battery also, are your battery posts and connections clean?

A wise man once told me, "I am going to give you some advice; you can take it or leave it, but keep in mind that it is worth exactly what you paid for it"
BleepinJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you bought your rebuilt starter at Advance/IdiotZone/O'Reilly's be aware that poorly rebuilt starters and early failure is not uncommon.

Clicking and not starting is usually a low voltage issue from:
leaving the lights on
a failing battery
a failing alternator
dirty or loose wire connections
internally corroded wires

Perform routine maintenance of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, scrape, and clean until shiny, the cable/wire ends, and whatever they bolt to. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad connections, or poor grounds.

Wiggle the automatic transmission lever in both Park and Neutral while trying to start. If it starts, you need to clean or replace the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS).

Have your helper turn the ignition key to START while you tap on the starter with a hammer. If the engine starts, you probably need a new starter.

Have the battery, starter, and the alternator Load Tested for proper function in a test machine that applies a simulated work load. Handheld testers are inaccurate and will often pass faulty parts.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you very much, so far after re-checking and cleaning everything it has not happened again, I think im gonna by new wires/battery terminals anyways mine are pretty rough shape, thanks for the info!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.