starter, battery, other? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > starter, battery, other?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-31-2005, 05:09 PM   #1
flarnlgso

starter, battery, other?

My jeep went without A/C for years and when I finally got it fixed 2 weeks ago I was happy. It was the last thing I needed to fix on it. It sure showed me though.

A few days later I noticed that when I went to start the car it was having trouble turning over. It sounds like the battery doesn't have the juice to power everything. So, the battery being only a year old I took it and had it tested along with the alt. and starter. The man said they were all good, but clearly they weren't.

Heck, trying to leave the car places was a pain, the thing just stopped trying to turn. Sure sounded like a dead battery to me! So I took my mom's advice and just quickly turned the key a few times and got it to start (hey new trick, cool).

But it still leaves me wondering what is wrong. I asked a mechanic buddy and he said it sounds like the starter is over heating because it doesn't do this when I first use it in the morning, but if I don't let it sit for very long after driving around it will act like it doesn't want to start. 15 minutes of waiting is usualy plenty, but it still sounds slow.

So anyone here have any idea what it could be?

I would like to know before I replace anything.

BTW, 130000 miles and the starter has not been replaced before.

flarn

flarnlgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2005, 08:32 PM   #2
skierbri10

Does it click or lag when trying to start? If it is clicking but nothing is happening, then it is probably the starter soleinoid. If it is lagging either the starter motor is going or other problems. Let us knwo which one it is doing.

New To me: 1988 XJ Limited 4dr 4x4 Auto Black

Basically stock but with slightly bigger tires. Can't wait to have the money for a lift and wheels and tires and stuff.

[COLOR=Red]Red Jeep Club Member # 292[/COLOR]

I have not joined the Black Jeep Club yet
skierbri10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2005, 11:22 PM   #3
88XJ Ltd

Wonder if it could be a ground issue? As it seems to give you problems when the engine's warmed up. Maybe there's some resistance in the battery cable (s)?
88XJ Ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2005, 01:37 AM   #4
flarnlgso

It sounds like a lagging of the normal cranking.

There is no clicking like I am familiar with when a starter goes out.

It sounds like my old battery powered electric race cars and how they would sound like they wanted to go but lacked the power/energy in the battery to turn the gears.

Or if you ever left our lights on and found out right before it was too late to start the car and the turning sounds really lagged/slow.

But yes, it is only when the engine is hot as far as I can tell. My first theory was the battery was being drained and then for some reason not being charged while driving, but that wouldn't make much sense.

A dieing starter sounds more likely.

Oh, almost forgot. Today after my first post there was a time at which I tried to start it and it didn't, so I tried again and there was nothing. Meaning I turned the key and there was no click, turn, lights, etc. So I let it sit for 60 seconds and it started up as if there was nothing wrong.

flarn
Unread 06-01-2005, 05:32 AM   #5
badron

Check around some places will come out and test your starting/charging system for free.
badron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2005, 07:58 AM   #6
flarnlgso

yes but, as I said in the first post: I already had someone check all those and the tester said they were good.

I'll check the wire thing later today.

If my belt wasn't tight enough, could that somehow be affecting it?

flarn
Unread 06-01-2005, 08:10 AM   #7
robvb525
2012 JK Wrangler 

clean your battery terminals good. and make sure connections are good and tight.
99 XJ Classic 4.0
robvb525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2005, 10:24 AM   #8
gregmondro

had the same problem with my ZJ. The CPS sensor went out and we couldn't figure out why the Jeep wouldn't start. So basically we taxed the old battery enough to finally kill it. It wouldn't even accept a charge.

first things i'd check is if your battery is in good condition (distilled water inside, and it is charged all the way and actually accepting the charge).

also, how does the jeep not start? i'm still sorta confused.

you say the starter doesn't click, but does the jeep just turn over really slow? This could mean your battery doesn't have enough power to take the load.

i'd check everything in this order, battery, alternator, then finally the starter.

it shouldn't be too hard to diagnose
99 Jeep XJ - NP231, SYE, 4.56's, Rear D44 w/ Detroit SoftLocker and a RockCrusher Diff Cover, 35x12.5 BFG A/Ts, RE 5.5" XD Lift, Skidrow TC Skid, ORT Rear Bumper + Carrier, Rigidco Front Winch Bumper + Steering Box Plate, Milemarker 8000 Winch, Rock Sliders, HD Currie Steering, Control Arm Skids, Goferit Tie Rod Flip Insert, Optima Red Top and a few other goodies...
FiveZeroFive
XJ 8.25 Rear End Disc Brake Conversion For Sale!
gregmondro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2005, 12:44 PM   #9
flarnlgso

Alright, let me try and re-explain this.

When I turn the key to start and there is that turning sound of the engine start, the same sound of any jeep. Now imagine that sound but 5 times slower and it gets slower with each turning sound. And of course if you keep holding the key in place to start the engine the turning eventual stops as if there is no power to do it any more.

Make sense?

By clicking of the starter, I meant that clicking sound I am used to when a starter goes out. I do not hear _that_ clicking. It sounds normal, but really slow.

From Haynes:
"If the starter motor cranks the engine at an abnormally slow speed, first make sure that the battery is charged and that all terminal connections are tight. If the engine is partially seized, or has the wrong viscosity oil in it, it will crank slow..."
It goes on to explain how to test everything. Which is what I am off to do now.

So from that I say it is the battery. Maybe I should just take it to another place to have it tested.

Also, the CPS was replaced last year.
Unread 06-01-2005, 02:00 PM   #10
DXJ

I had a similar sounding problem.

Mine turned out to be the cable from the battery to the starter was crudded up so sometimes it fired up just fine and others it cranked slow and took longer to start. A crappy battery was corroding the terminal ends. At the time I cut the cable at the battery, stipped the wire and reattached it to a new terminal end. It would then start consistantly. I have since upgraded the wire completely.

Good Luck.
DXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2005, 02:09 PM   #11
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXJ
I had a similar sounding problem.

Mine turned out to be the cable from the battery to the starter was crudded up so sometimes it fired up just fine and others it cranked slow and took longer to start. A crappy battery was corroding the terminal ends. At the time I cut the cable at the battery, stipped the wire and reattached it to a new terminal end. It would then start consistantly. I have since upgraded the wire completely.

Good Luck.
Mine had the same problem. It was bad ground cables in my case. Both the cable from the battery to chassis and the battery to alternator were replaced and that cleared it up. It did cook the battery in the process though.
Unread 06-01-2005, 03:34 PM   #12
JoBo

Indeed sounds like a ground and or cable problem Some of your battery cables might be corroded internally You have not mentioned what year but I suspect with those miles it's older and cables do corrode. Start by replacing the battery cables You could put a volt meter accross a cable and have someone crank it while your checking for voltage drop A half a volt loss in several places adds up.
Good luck
JoBo
JoBo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.