Started with the common CPS/CKP failure and now is Completely out of hand - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Started with the common CPS/CKP failure and now is Completely out of hand

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #16
Kiplinger
1997 XJ Cherokee 

My CPS went out on the interstate periodically chirping the back tires as it cut the ignition. 60 mile round trip made for a real a@@pain, got a new distributor from twilight zone because they didn't offer the CPS and it failed within a week so i just swapped the sensors and it's worked great three years now.

Kiplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #17
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate_nev View Post
got my TPS and CPS from nappa as a rfiend works there and i get parts for cost... tomorrow I am checking for cracks in the flywheel, if there are none, then I will go to the dealer.. even though I do have a hard time reasoning with the new sensors being non compatible because of being aftermarket. Is this a truly common thing with these cherokees?
It isnt because they are aftermarket, its because they are made in a slave workshop for pennies, and are like most things that end up on the shelf at Harbor freight... cheap Chinese crap. Occasionally you will get a good one, but that isnt the norm.

Napa sells 2 CPS units, one is ~$30, one is ~$70. the more expensive of the 2 is made by a trusted NAPA supplier, and not one of the poor quality companies.
Unread 07-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #18
Nate_nev
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Checked the trans pan and no abnormal shavings, I guess the next step is the dealership to get a CPS from them.. I will update on if it is a success or not. If it is a success... at least I have a whole lot of spare sensors!

I'd also like to thank everyone for the input and help so far!
Nate_nev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #19
Nate_nev
1997 XJ Cherokee 

changed the sensors, still doing the same thing.... I am left in the situation where I need to ask, can I take a motor from a 1995 grand cherokee and put it in my 1997 Xj?
Unread 08-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #20
Nate_nev
1997 XJ Cherokee 

changed the Idle Air valve, doesnt stall anymore... but sputters at 50-60km/hr.. any ideas that I haven't tried? i've also retraced all wires, grounds.. got a bit of flack for wanting to change the motor.. so lets fix it! LOL
Unread 08-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #21
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Have you checked both grounds? The strap from the rear of the head to the body and the one just rear of the distributor on the side of the engine block.

I've had problems with the engine running smoothly when these were not clean and tight.

Just a thought.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #22
Nate_nev
1997 XJ Cherokee 

yes, and shaved the contacts and contact poins "shiny"
Unread 08-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #23
Nate_nev
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I WIN!!!! LOL, (sorry for the caps)... Last night I decided to re-check the fuel pressure and I watched my gauge "stick" then move.. so I went to canadian tire and bought a new gauge, hooked it up and 52 PSI, turned the Jeep off and watched the pressure gauge almost instantly drop to 10 psi. Called around to figure how much a fuel pressure regulator would be and was quoted $230... I then called the USA parts store seeing how I am on a border town.. and $80.. SOLD put her in with a little hassle and fixed. holding pressure and not stalling stuttering or anything.. kind of annoyed about this but I did find a lot of little problems that could have left me stranded in the bush at some point like wires melted to the exhaust etc.. so at least most things are now new!

I would like to thank everyone's input and help!
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #24
Kiplinger
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome work, but being stranded in the bush isn't always bad HA!! Beer:30 here cheers and congrats!
Kiplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #25
OnTheFence

Wow, way to stick with it.
Nate, is the fuel pressure regulator part of the fuel pump or fuel filter?
Is this an easy part to change out?
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #26
Nate_nev
1997 XJ Cherokee 

its top of the tank, release the straps and it is right on top, i will take a picture if you want and email it to you. pm me your email.

Tags
bucking , high idle , stalling

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.