Started with the common CPS/CKP failure and now is Completely out of hand - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Started with the common CPS/CKP failure and now is Completely out of hand

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #1
Nate_nev
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Started with the common CPS/CKP failure and now is Completely out of hand

Hi, new member and first time poster in a purely frustrated state.

1997 Jeep XJ Stock

It all started when I drove through an easy trail to learn the new jeep. It started stalling and bucking 3/4 of the way through the trail, but I managed to limp home to my garage. I put my scan tool (not a cheap canadian tire code reader) on the jeep and read CPS/CKP. 200 bucks later on that and still have the missfire/stalling going uphill. Over the past couple weeks I have trouble shot and changed everything I could think of.

here is a list of things I have checked so far:

02 sensor not throwing code
Cat has flow
Fuel injectors impedance is normal
Used SKF stethoscope to listen to injectors
Temp sensor changed
Mass air sensor not throwing code
TPS changed
CPS changed
Pickup coil
MAP sensor changed
EGR N/A
Fuel Pressure within normal
Spark Plugs new
Wires new
Cap and rotor new
Coil pack
Timing indexed
Deleted old codes and reset computer
No slack or noise in the timing chain.

jeep has 200 000km (124 274.238 miles)

So.... I get all of this completed thinking NOTHING can hold me back now, I turn the key it starts nicely, rev's to 2 grand and starts to lower RPM's but sticks at 1500 (insert expletives here!). I figure High idle... I can change that later lets take her for a slow ride up the hill 300 ft from my house and before I even get to the hill its sputtering and bucking...no codes... i am not mechanically challenged (except for this instance it would seem). I really don't want to let this Jeep beat me. please if there is anything I have overlooked?

if there are any Jeep experts in SSM Ontario or Michigan please P.M me.

ANY thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time,

Nathan N.

Nate_nev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Armycherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

What about the fuel filter
Armycherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
Nate_nev
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I am tempted to check that, but my fuel pressure is in a good state, which usually indicates that it's not clogged. if the pressure was low then I would pull the tank and change the pump etc.. I am at the point now where I may buy a jeep with a broken frame for the parts, but I don't know for sure if the parts are interchangeable. (1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee).. If the motor/trans/gas tank are then I will pick the machine up for a couple hundred. thanks for the thought.
Unread 06-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The 97-01 fuel filter is only serviced if fuel pressure testing indicates reduced flow or pressure.

Swap the Fan relay with the ASD relay and the fuel pump relay with the starter relay.

Bucking and Stalling are most commonly associated with the O2 sensors. Normal O2 sensor service life is about 125-150,000 miles. The sensors can become slow to react, or contaminated, and will cause the ECU to become confused resulting in bucking and stalling. Often, a faulty O2 sensor will not throw a code. Inspect the O2 sensor wire plugs and wires for damage or corrosion. Replace the O2 sensors with genuine Jeep parts or NTK sensors. Also inspect all the other sensor wires for chafed insulation or melted insulation.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
Nate_nev
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I'll try changing the 02 and swapping the relays tonight and will reply the outcome. thanks for the response.
Unread 06-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
n5xl

Change out the front o2 sensor.
98 XJ, AW4, 2"ACOS/JKS Shackles
n5xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
Nate_nev
1997 XJ Cherokee 

so I have changed both 02 sensors with no change..... and swapped the relays.. still no change.. I am seriously stumped... I honestly don't know which direction to go.. it idles at 2000 rpm and lowers in drive.. as soon as i put it into drive it decides it wants to chug and try to die..
Unread 06-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Kalali
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Were the TPS and the CPS genuine Mopar/Jeep parts? We seem to read quite a bit about aftermarket sensors with sporadic results.
Kalali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You said 'Fuel pressure within normal'. What fuel pressure do you see with the engine running at idle? Have you looked at the fuel pressure with the engine running at above idle - like at 1500 - 2000 RPM?

Do you have a Factory Service Manual that you can refer to when performing a fuel pump capacity test?
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
n5xl

Does your scanner report fuel trims? If so, what are the long term and short term trims? Any codes now that you've changed everything out?
Unread 07-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
Nate_nev
1997 XJ Cherokee 

yes scanner does, I will load results when I load drivers into my PC
Unread 07-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
Nate_nev
1997 XJ Cherokee 

progress??

I got my Idle to come back down to normal, but it still stalls out only when it is in drive... I tried out of curiosity and frustration to put it in reverse just to see.. and the stupid thing didnt stall... as soon as i put it in drive it stalled out... almost instantly..

thoughts?
Unread 07-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #13
n5xl

How did you get the idle to come down? Your stalling in gear sounds like a stuck torque converter clutch or bad solenoid. Any fuses blown in the PDC? Tranny fluid look ok?
Unread 07-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #14
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Again as someone else asked are your TPS and CPS Mopar or at least NAPPA there are many of us on here that tried to save some $ I just recently bought a 4 WD selector switch from A Zone and it failed right out of the box,went to Nappa and got one and no problems.If you are dealing with Big Box stores those parts are almost allways out of spec.and if they do work they usually only last a very short period of time.Worst part is if they fail you while out wheeling.
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #15
Nate_nev
1997 XJ Cherokee 

got my TPS and CPS from nappa as a friend works there and i get parts for cost... tomorrow I am checking for cracks in the flywheel, if there are none, then I will go to the dealer.. even though I do have a hard time reasoning with the new sensors being non compatible because of being aftermarket. Is this aftermarket sensor problem a truly common thing with these cherokees?

Last edited by Nate_nev; 07-11-2012 at 09:19 AM..

Tags
bucking , high idle , stalling

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.