Stalling & Sputtering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Stalling & Sputtering

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Rear Leaf Spring (4 Leaf) Pair1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 09-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
Zaries

Stalling & Sputtering

I have a
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with a V8 4.7 motor

The problem started a couple of weeks ago where I could be driving down the road then it starts to spit & sputter like its running out of gas then completely die. It does this no matter if I'm driving down the road or in the middle of a turn. It only happens when I'm driving from 40mph and below. I can get on the highway clocking in at 60/75 mph and it does fine and dandy. Just when you start to slow down it starts this. We took it to a mechanic, they thought it was a combination of the fuel filter, coil pack and spark plugs. So we had all replaced, but the only thing we got from having them replaced was the steering wheel is tighter to turn then it was before we brought it in. The mechanic did a diagnostics test and those were the 3 things it brought up was wrong, nothing else. So after we left there, we were told to go to Autozone to get them to run a diagnostic test to see what they find. They gave us 2 sheets of paper with the codes P0301 & P0108 on them saying that was the possible problems. I have no idea what these mean or what is wrong with my Jeep. I'm already in debt close to $100 for this one person with parts and labor. Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated!

Zaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
jebert79

Mine did this awhile back, actually died in the middle of traffic. 2 days later it started up all on its own. One thing I noticed was my steering wheel doesn't lock. Then a few weeks later my check engine came on. I did a diagnostic on it as well, my code came up, I believe was P0108-O2 sensor. They should have told you what the code means. I would call and ask.
jebert79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

This forum is for regular Cherokees. Try the WJ Grand Cherokee Forum. You will get more accurate replies, as none of our vehicles have the 4.7 V8...............

Link:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
Zaries

Oh ok thanks I will go post there
Zaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
AAA
1997 ZJ 

If your Jeep is having stalling issues, it is up to you to make the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) issue a recall for the year and VIN numbers for the vehicles with this problem. They issued a recall for certain 1996 Jeeps with this exact same stalling issue. Please either call them or visit the website and enter your info and stalling symptoms. Let's make Jeep fix what they need to.
Either call the NHTSA at 888-327-4236 from 8am-8pm M-F Eastern time, or go to www.NHTSA.gov and click on the right side where it says, "Report a vehicle or child seat defect".
You can also click on this link which takes you directly to the page to file a safety complaint. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

It does no good to complain unless we let them know about it. Enter a formal complaint about what your vehicle is doing and make them pay for the repairs.
AAA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dying , low rpm , sputtering , stalling

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.