Stalling/shutting off after warm up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Stalling/shutting off after warm up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-23-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
robtco99
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Stalling/shutting off after warm up

I have an 01 cherokee 4.0, auto, 4x4, with 99k. It runs and drives fine except that it will stall/engine will shut off after the jeep seems to warm up. It will start right back up after it stalls and will usually only stall once. It used to do this randomly, but it does this every time that I drive it now. It doesn't buck, surge, or anything, it's almost like someone turned the key to off when it dies. The rpms don't matter either when it stalls it could be idling or you could be driving on the highway.

The jeep throws no check engine light and has no codes. The gauges all work fine, it has good fuel pressure, and it starts right back up, so it probably isn't crank sensor.

The fuel pump has been replaced recently with a bosch, a new battery, a Mopar IAC valve, new TPS sensor, tune up, etc have all been done recently.

I'm at a loss what is wrong with it. any ideas?

Unread 09-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
zfender14
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had this problem in my yj. I put up with it for a while under the assumption that the fix would put a dent in my wallet. The fix was painfully simple once I figured it out.

Change your spark plug wires. Mine had worn out and the engine heat would kill the spark, killing the motor. It would start fine with a cool engine and would usually start back up after the motor would die.

If you leave it I would guess that eventually the motor will only come on for 30-60 seconds before it dies again.

1998 XJ 4.0 | Automatic | 2" lift (unknown brand) | 31x10.5 MT
zfender14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Test the fuel pressure, it should have 49 +/-5 psi.

What makes you think the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) is good ? Have you tested it ? One of the most common causes of heat related stalling is a faulty CPS. Have inspected the battery wires and Load Tested the battery ?

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

It really could be the crank sensor.

It is not uncommon to have your exact symptoms (stalling but starting right up) with the front end of a crank sensor problem. And even more so is the fact that crank sensors are suspect for "thermal" (heat related) failure, which is what you are experiencing.

And also this tidbit of crank sensor trivia. Crank sensors will only set a code/CEL about 30-40% of the time. The rest of the time, the failure escapes the OBD system.

If you do replace it, do yourself a big favor and buy a Mopar unit directly from Jeep. Aftermarket crank sensors are very "hit and miss" with a lot of miss!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
robtco99
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I replaced the CPS and everything seems to be fine now. The part from the dealer is about $80

I thought the cps was good because all the dash gauges worked, no check engine light, had good fuel pressure, and it would restart after stalling. It turns out that the crank sensor was just starting to go bad and would act up when it got hot.

Definitely a pain to change I took the advice to remove the front drive shaft and it made it considerably easier to get to.
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtco99 View Post
..... turns out that the crank sensor was just starting to go bad and would act up when it got hot.
This is most definitely one of the first signs of a weak CPS. Glad you got it fixed before your were stranded someplace with a non-running Jeep.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.