Stalling out while driving - alternator ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Stalling out while driving - alternator ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 06-09-2007, 07:53 PM   #1
JohnnyQuest

Stalling out while driving - alternator ?

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me figure out what's going on with my Jeep.

I was driving home today from the store, and it basically started acting like it was possessed... it would cut out for no reason, especially at stop signs etc, then I could put it in neutral and it would start back up, go a few hundred more yards, same thing etc.

Was hoping to limp it home but, it got progressively worse so now it's sitting in an empty lot about a mile from my house.

It's very strange... for the most part all the lights / radio etc work, but then all of a sudden everything will go completely dead. Then the interior lights will come on, and it will start, then sorta just "chug a lug" for about 30 seconds then die again.

I'm pretty sure it's not the battery, it's less than a year old, and like I said all the lights etc seem to work fine.

I'm thinking its probably the alternator, my Honda accord did the same thing and I had to replace the alternator on it.

I am wondering though, if there is any way a bad battery cable could cause the same type of symptoms ?

I ask because, about a month ago, I stopped to get gas, got back in, and everything was totally dead, no inside lights etc. I looked under the hood, and noticed that the negative battery cable was a bit loose, I had just replaced the terminals a few days before.

So, when that happened, I tightened it all down good etc, and it started right up with no problems. But I did notice that the negative cable looked pretty corroded and put it on my list to replace when I get a chance.

So... that's my situation, if anyone has any ideas/thoughts/similar experiences, I would definitely appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

JD

Unread 06-09-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
coppertop71

1990 XJ Cherokee 

What kind of battery clamps do you use. If it those that clamp down on the exposed cable then there could be connection problems. I'm not sure why it would stall if the cable looses connection then the alternator should keep you driving unless there is maybe too much of a draw on the alternator at idle.

Check the voltage at the battery post then try checking on the cable to check for resistance. Then if you get it started again check voltage again for charging, it should read higher by up to 2 volts.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, 4.0 4:11 gears

'90 Cherokee XJ,W/'91 4.0L reman/ 3.5" RE lift, W/31" M/S tires, 4:11 Gears W/Speedo gear change/ Aluminum Coolant Tank
A/C Conversion/Home Built Roof Rack/K&N Box Filter
Derale 15" Rigid Radiator Fan PT# DER-17415, through Summit W/2"X5/8X5/8"" spacer

Jeep Pic's
coppertop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
JohnnyQuest

Thanks, I was too busy trying not to get run over I didn't even look at the volt gauge etc...

I will try what you said, maybe I will get lucky and it's just a cable or something.

Thanks again,

JD

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.