Squealing from A/C compressor - lubrication? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Squealing from A/C compressor - lubrication?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-13-2008, 10:31 PM   #1
irish44j
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Squealing from A/C compressor - lubrication?

I've been getting a loud screeching from my AC compressor. It's quiet when idling, but give the engine some revs and the compressor starts squealing. It's not the belt (which is pretty new and at correct tightness), it's the compressor itself.

Now, I know that my AC needs a recharge as the viewglass is "foamy" (though it still blows cold) - is this the cause of the screeching? Otherwise, is it maybe in need of somekind of lubrication that can be done without taking the AC system apart?

thoughts welcome.

Unread 06-13-2008, 10:40 PM   #2
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Does it make a difference whether the compressor is engaged or not?
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2008, 11:27 PM   #3
irish44j
1990 XJ Cherokee 

only happens when engaged.
Unread 06-13-2008, 11:32 PM   #4
eflores
1989 XJ Cherokee 

throw some dubya d on the belt ....see if it stops.....if it does your belt is too tight or too lose

Leaky sunroofed XJ member #1
The United States of America July 4, 1776 - November 4, 2008 RIP
eflores is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
highlander179
2000 XJ Cherokee 

this usually happens to me when I start up with the ac on. basically, I turn off the ac until I get going up to speed, then kick it back on and the squeal is gone.
highlander179 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2008, 12:21 AM   #6
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish44j View Post
I've been getting a loud screeching from my AC compressor. It's quiet when idling, but give the engine some revs and the compressor starts squealing. It's not the belt (which is pretty new and at correct tightness), it's the compressor itself.

Now, I know that my AC needs a recharge as the viewglass is "foamy" (though it still blows cold) - is this the cause of the screeching? Otherwise, is it maybe in need of somekind of lubrication that can be done without taking the AC system apart?

thoughts welcome.
I am willing to bet the issue is insufficient belt tension. Compressor load on the belt increases as compressor speed increases, so the propensity for the belt to slip/squeal will increase.

Most guys who own 4.0 XJ's GROSSLY overestimate the REAL tension on the belt, and when they think it's tight enough, it's not even close to factory spec. Have you tensioned the belt with a GUAGE, or just "eyeball/finger" testing it?
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2008, 07:42 AM   #7
Veeb0rg
1995 XJ Cherokee 

when its squeeling, does your volt gauge drop?
Veeb0rg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2008, 07:50 AM   #8
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish44j View Post
only happens when engaged.
In as much as you described the noise as "loud screeching," it could be that your clutch is slipping. That typically occurs in conjunction with sudden rpm changes. You can see that happening if you watch the clutch face while making sudden throttle movements.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2008, 01:23 PM   #9
99cherokeexj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

yeah i had the same problem with my jeep for a long time, until recently when i tightened it the squeeling stopped. Try to tighten the belt, mine hasn't squeeled since.

"99 red xj build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/99-red-xj-build-501446/
99cherokeexj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #10
creaky70
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Tighten the belt, the squealing will stop.
creaky70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2008, 12:00 AM   #11
Croyle00XJ
2006 XK Commander 

?

You know I thought mine was squeeling too....I thought for sure it was the compressor making my belt squeel....and my belt was pretty new too....It ended up being my Alternator slowly seizing up on me untill it finally stopped moving and tore the living crap out of my belt.
Croyle00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
drglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veeb0rg View Post
when its squeeling, does your volt gauge drop?
This is what happens to me. What does it mean if the volt gauge drops when the squealing starts?

If I turn on my AC it will squeal, not all the time, but most of the time. If i accelerate then it will squeal like a bi$%H and the voltage drops?

Is that the belt tightness or the clutch of the A/C compressor?
drglass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #13
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drglass View Post
This is what happens to me. What does it mean if the volt gauge drops when the squealing starts?

If I turn on my AC it will squeal, not all the time, but most of the time. If i accelerate then it will squeal like a bi$%H and the voltage drops?

Is that the belt tightness or the clutch of the A/C compressor?
The belt is slipping on both the compressor AND the alternator, thus causing voltage drop.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.