spooky starter on 88 Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > spooky starter on 88 Cherokee

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 08-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
steves1988

spooky starter on 88 Cherokee

Yesterday I climbed into the 1988 Cherokee, turned the key, and all I got was CLICK. Tried some more with the same result. I figured the starter is shot - it's probably original.

Today in anticipation of a trip to autozone for a new starter, I degreased and pressure-washed the old starter and surrounding area (boy is it greasy under there).

About 30 minutes later I turned the key again just to confirm the click-click sound (don't know why I did it) and instead, the car started!

I am now guessing that some wire around the solenoid had worked loose, and my cleaning job pushed it into better contact. So I figure the job now is to detach the battery, and disconnect, clean up, and reconnect the wires around the solenoid.

Does this sound like a fair plan? Am I missing something?

Thanks much,
Steve

steves1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steves1988 View Post
better contact.
If the underside of the engine is a greasy mess, it's likely no one has done much cleaning and/or refreshing of ANY electrical contacts. I'd start by giving the whole thing a once over, cleaning wise, and then go here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f140/...-tips-1304879/

Lots of REALLY good information here for the <1990 crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caner. View Post
I slide it in and then when I pull, it works fine.
Paradise XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
steves1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise XJ View Post
If the underside of the engine is a greasy mess, it's likely no one has done much cleaning and/or refreshing of ANY electrical contacts.
Quite true. A friend of mine with a similar-vintage Jeep just advised me that the "big" bolt on the solenoid is apt to become loose and corrode over time. He also warned me against overtightening as there are bakelite parts involved. Maybe that's why it loosens over time! Anyway, it was in fact not very tight at all. I took the connections apart, cleaned them up, added a little dielectric, and put it back together. The Jeep starts fine now!
steves1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Starters need a good positive connection AND a good ground which it get thru contact with the bell housing. Either could be the problem. Drop the starter, clean everything and reinstall. Should be an hour job in the driveway.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.