Splitting the transfer case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Splitting the transfer case

Spartan Locker's at all time LOW exclusive from ROCKRIDGE FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 03-13-2015, 06:54 AM   #1
300cpilot
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Splitting the transfer case

I had my transfer case serviced a couple of weeks ago and now it is leaking, so either it was empty before or something happened during the service. The gasket on the bottom is where it is coming out. This is a 231. So the question is what surprises await me inside. Can I just take the case apart and then silicone it together again? Never been in one. Are there any special tools needed?

300cpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2015, 08:52 AM   #2
Paradise XJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

By "serviced" do you mean you had a shop take it apart and things messed with? Or did they just drain & fill the fluid? Then are you sure the drain plug is the problem and it's just running down to the bottom.

If it was the former, I'd hurry on back down there and ask THEM. Even if it was the latter, I'd still inquire as to what exactly they did. I have put a couple hundred thousand mile on my Jeeps and never had a leak from the T/C's, maybe I'm just lucky.
Unread 03-13-2015, 11:12 AM   #3
kippo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Not to hard to do. There are some good write ups on it. After you get it split you'll just clean up the mating surfaces and use red rtf and put it back together.
kippo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
kippo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.4wdmechanix.com/NP231-and...ld-Part-1.html

This is a good write up
kippo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2015, 04:12 PM   #5
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
TCs can start leaking from between the front & rear halves. As was mentioned, if it was just a drain & refill they most likely could not mess up anything that badly. If it was rebuilt, it's easy to mess up something.

..and yes, the only way to reseal your TC between the halves is splitting the case, cleaning it up really good, and then applying a bead of RTV (~1/8" thick bead around the whole front case half sealing surface; in circles around the bolt holes), reassembling the case, let it dry a couple hours before refilling.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2015, 02:43 PM   #6
300cpilot
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Yea it was a drain and refill, the plug is tight and the oil is not from the plug. I'm really thinking that it was dry when I bought it? Wondering what I am going to find inside.

Thanks for the help!
300cpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.