Spinning noise from the front end?? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 03-19-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
urbanoverland
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Spinning noise from the front end??

Been scouring the forums looking for a similar issue with minimal luck. Last week when I went to drive the XJ I heard a new noise coming from what I think to be the front end. I can only describe this noise as a gentle spinning/vibrating. It doesn't vibrate or shake the truck, just a strange sound. It only starts at about 5-10 mph and gets higher pitched with greater speeds. Last week was Northern Virginia's first snowfall of any "significance" so I engaged the 4wd for the first time in a few months. It's been very cold, wet, and icy. Not sure if this has anything to do with the new issue, but it's the only thing I've done differently lately. Will be checking for any play in the wheels later in the week. Wondering what else to check.

Possibly wheel hubs/bearings, driveshaft, etc?

It's a 99 XJ on 4.5 inch lift, 31 inch tires, 1 inch transfer drop kit (none of this has changed for 4 years)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-19-2017, 09:28 PM
dzywicki
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like the wheel hub/bearing. It's a complete unit and makes a howl when it starts to fail. I see you are in NoVA. When I replaced mine, I was able to get Timken from Advance, but I don't think they carry those anymore. Looks like the local places at least carry moog. If you have never replaced them, I am sure they would be due about now on a '99. The only hard part is getting them off. They tend to fuse to the steering knuckle. There are a lot of articles and videos on the youtubes, heres a good one:

Just checked and looks like amazon carries the Timken hubs: https://www.amazon.com/Timken-513084...okee+wheel+hub

Had a 3 year warranty when I bought mine, looks like made in China and 2 year warranty now. Maybe Moog is the better choice now?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.