Spicer vs Dana 44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Spicer vs Dana 44

New Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit CatalyPartsHubDirect: Hella LED Lighting, HID Xenon, Headlamps, Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic Halog

Unread 10-12-2004, 09:21 AM   #1
Protrkr
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Spicer vs Dana 44

What is the difference between these two? I have been looking for a dana 44 out of a 87 XJ. When I call the salvage yards, they say they have the spicer 44. Will I have problems finding parts for the spicer? Also they say Dana bought out spicer or vice versa. Please help!!

05 Rubicon LJ, ACOS 3" lift, 32x11.50x15's BFG Allterrains, Aluminum Alloys, Wilderness Roof Rack With KC Lights, Rear Swingout Tire Carrier with Ax & Shovel Mounts & Biycicle Carrier & Jerry Can Holders, Front Bumper W/D-Rings, Reciever & a Warn Winch 8,000Lb, Rock Rails, After Market Arm Rests & Interior Netting, Neoprene Seat Covers Front & Rear, Armor Protection on all Lights, Cobra 40 Channel CB with a Wilson Antennae, Cargo Matting, Orange Cargo Netting, Safari Top, Soft Top, Hard Top, Half Doors, High Lift Anniversary Edition # 146, Kenwood KVT 696 DVD Head Unit with Navigation, Bluetooth, Sirius, IPOD. Warn 650D Driving Lights & Warn 650F FogLights all on a Remote Switch. & Lets not forget about My New GoPro Hero W/ Roll Bar Mount that will Video Record all our Wheeling Adventures...
Protrkr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2004, 10:14 AM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Dana and Spicer merged many years back. Spicer is basically a division of Dana.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2004, 11:27 AM   #3
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

I was at a yard to, and they guy said he had a spicer 44. I went out to check it and it was one of those crappy aluminum ones. You should be fine though if its from another XJ.
Unread 10-12-2004, 01:50 PM   #4
cbremer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHarnett
I was at a yard to, and they guy said he had a spicer 44. I went out to check it and it was one of those crappy aluminum ones. You should be fine though if its from another XJ.

i just wanted to quote this for the original poster- make sure the yard knows you want an Iron D-44, and not the aluminum one. Many people use 'Cherokee' and 'Grand Cherokee' interchangeably, not realizing that they are completely different models.
cbremer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2004, 02:26 PM   #5
mission-inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbremer
i just wanted to quote this for the original poster- make sure the yard knows you want an Iron D-44, and not the aluminum one. Many people use 'Cherokee' and 'Grand Cherokee' interchangeably, not realizing that they are completely different models.

There are alot of (mechanical) similarities between ZJ's and XJ's of the same year.

However, I'm sure the differences outway the similarities even if they are primarily cosmetic.
[URL=http://www.amt.org/scott]My Cherokee Website[/URL]
[URL=http://www.missionrepublic.com]My Clothing Company[/URL]
mission-inc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2004, 02:51 PM   #6
cbremer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mission-inc
There are alot of (mechanical) similarities between ZJ's and XJ's of the same year.
yup- i have one of each... makes finding parts a snap

point is- the guy at the junkyard may say "sure, i have a dana 44 out of a cherokee" when in actuality he has an aluminum dana 44 out of a grand cherokee- either out of ignorance, or he just doesn't care

be sure to take a look at it first- if it's all iron and has leaf spring perches, it should work
cbremer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2004, 05:11 PM   #7
Protrkr
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thank you fellow jeepers, I appreciate the response.
05 Rubicon LJ, ACOS 3" lift, 32x11.50x15's BFG Allterrains, Aluminum Alloys, Wilderness Roof Rack With KC Lights, Rear Swingout Tire Carrier with Ax & Shovel Mounts & Biycicle Carrier & Jerry Can Holders, Front Bumper W/D-Rings, Reciever & a Warn Winch 8,000Lb, Rock Rails, After Market Arm Rests & Interior Netting, Neoprene Seat Covers Front & Rear, Armor Protection on all Lights, Cobra 40 Channel CB with a Wilson Antennae, Cargo Matting, Orange Cargo Netting, Safari Top, Soft Top, Hard Top, Half Doors, High Lift Anniversary Edition # 146, Kenwood KVT 696 DVD Head Unit with Navigation, Bluetooth, Sirius, IPOD. Warn 650D Driving Lights & Warn 650F FogLights all on a Remote Switch. & Lets not forget about My New GoPro Hero W/ Roll Bar Mount that will Video Record all our Wheeling Adventures...
Protrkr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.