speedometer stopped working?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > speedometer stopped working?!

We still have some great deals going on!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 03-12-2006, 01:00 AM   #1
cucr3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

speedometer stopped working?!

so i was driving home today when i looked down at my dash and saw i was going 0 mph...my speedometer just stopped working. is this a problem i can fix myself? i had some tranny work done a little while ago, could this be a result? thanks.

cucr3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2006, 01:21 AM   #2
kairo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucr3
so i was driving home today when i looked down at my dash and saw i was going 0 mph...my speedometer just stopped working. is this a problem i can fix myself? i had some tranny work done a little while ago, could this be a result? thanks.
get under neath and look on the drivers side of the transfer case. there should be a little thingy stickin out of the top/left with wires coming out of it. Loosen the bolts holding it in, turn it as far as you can clock-wise, and then tighten the bolts back down (not too tight) See if that fixes it.

Some times that speedo gear will back itself off
kairo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
Kuasimodem

What year XJ?

1990 and older XJ's use a mechanical speedo with a drive cable running from the transfer case up.

1991 and newer XJ's use an electronic speedo with a sensor mounted on the transfer case, and the signal feeds to both the speedo in the dash and the computer (for shifting control).
White Jeep Club Member #1992
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #5!
Old Guy Jeep Club Member #1992

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan
Kuasimodem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2006, 12:52 PM   #4
cucr3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

my check engine light also came on at the same time...could this be a result of the not working speedometer, and now the just noticed non-working odometer?
cucr3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
TheRifleman
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Suck it up. My Grand Wagoneers Speedometer hasn't worked since '95 and I drive it all the time.

Just kidding about sucking it up thought, I'd lookm to get it fixed asap...it becomes an annoyance when your dashboard start to not works...
TheRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2006, 03:31 PM   #6
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely check the connection on the TC. It would also be worthwhile to pull the sensor out and inspect the speedo gear. If you recently had tranny work done, they may have chipped some teeth on the speedo gear. It's only plastic. If you can't find the problem and you think your actual speedo is broken, I have my old one from when I did the guage cluster swap. It has about 175K miles on it and worked fine, but there's no trip meter. (PM me if you or anyone else is interested-I have the complete guage assembly with idiot lights or if you just want the speedo). I would bet the speedo isn't getting a signal though.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2006, 04:13 PM   #7
RT8827
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucr3
so i was driving home today when i looked down at my dash and saw i was going 0 mph...my speedometer just stopped working. is this a problem i can fix myself? i had some tranny work done a little while ago, could this be a result? ... my check engine light also came on at the same time... thanks.
What year is your XJ? I'm guessing it's 1998-2000. When I bought my '99 a few weeks ago, I discovered the same problem. There's a recall for the airbag control module, and failure causes the symptoms you're describing. I had the recall service performed (for free) on my XJ, and I haven't had any problems since.

Check out this thread, where I included a link to the Jeep recall page. You can enter your VIN number there to verify that your XJ is eligible for the airbag recall (and any others for your vehicle).
Unread 03-20-2006, 04:28 PM   #8
oldblack93
2000 XJ Cherokee 

When the speedo, oddometer, and gas guage stopped working on my '93, the problem was a broken ground wire on the side of the engine block.
oldblack93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.