Speedometer/Odometer Not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Speedometer/Odometer Not working

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
Goalie381
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

Speedometer/Odometer Not working

I have a 1998 Cherokee Sport with the 4.0 I6, and the speedometer and odometer don't work, but the other gauges do. A mechanic said I need the complete gauge cluster replaced, but I'm wondering if it could be just a cable. Can anyone give me some insight?

Goalie381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
jdearmitt
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Check the ground wires on the passenger side of the engine block before you go and replace the gauges. There should be a stud with a nut on it right behind the distributor. Take the wires off, clean the contacts with some sand paper and brake cleaner. It's worth a shot.

-Justin
jdearmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Also check the connections behind the gauge cluster, possibly it got disconnected
nrpalmer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
Goalie381
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

I suppose I should've put this in the description but often forget. The speedometer works 1 out of a 100 times, and its always when I'm coming to a stop from faster than 25 mph.
Goalie381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
jdearmitt
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I would definitely check those grounds. Just fixed mine yesterday. Speedometer, odometer, and fuel gauge wouldn't work. They also caused some other problems.

-Justin
jdearmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I fixed mine the other day by cleaning the grounds as well, but when I jumped in it the following day it didn't work again
Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
nick_n_ii
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Could it also be a gauge cluster issue?
nick_n_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
lowicz96
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_n_ii View Post
Could it also be a gauge cluster issue?
Yes, My temp gauge quit working cause the plastic cracked around the mounting screws which was the connection between the cluster circuit and the gauge

88' Cherokee Limited - RIP

Sold - 96' Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2 Door, AW4, NP242, Its the girlfriends now!!
lowicz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
I fixed mine the other day by cleaning the grounds as well, but when I jumped in it the following day it didn't work again
Mine still isn't fixed. I replaced the gauge cluster, because I found a cheap one on ebay, but that didn't do anything. I took the ground off again and cleaned it all up, but still no luck. It has to be my VSS, or at least I'm hoping. I need to buy a replacement. Mine just doesn't look right the way all of that is going into the transfer case. Can someone snap a few pics of yours for me to compare?
Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
nick_n_ii
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well my brothers 99 XJ so far:

I've replace the cluster, cleaned and inspected all the connections, cleaned the ground wire and added a second ground wire to be sure.

I'm at a lose.

Speedo and trip meter don't work and the Gas gauge reads full or empty randomly as you drive own the street.
nick_n_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #11
lowicz96
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Chrysler has never been known for their superb wiring

88' Cherokee Limited - RIP

Sold - 96' Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2 Door, AW4, NP242, Its the girlfriends now!!
lowicz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
muffinman420

I also had the same issues. my speedo and fuel gauge was not working.. i checked the wires going to the block and one was broken off. i replaced all wire at the end and put new ends on them and bam i turn my key over and my gas gauge went from over 100% back down to reading 1/4 tank where i should be around.. so thanks guys fixed my problem. and by the way the wires they use are very ****ty indead. 91 HO cheerokee 4dr
muffinman420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #13
Karbyde97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie381 View Post
I have a 1998 Cherokee Sport with the 4.0 I6, and the speedometer and odometer don't work, but the other gauges do. A mechanic said I need the complete gauge cluster replaced, but I'm wondering if it could be just a cable. Can anyone give me some insight?
Try the speed sensor in/attached to your transmission.
Karbyde97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.