Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

speedometer gear

978 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  XJcruiser 
#1 ·
Ok so I've been searching around online all last night and today for a new speedo gear fro my np231. I've seen more charts about it then I ever wanted to lol. Most of the charts are telling me for 33's with 4.56's I need a 39 tooth speedo gear. I also saw a few that said I need a 38 tooth gear? How would I tell whats going to be better? I was thinking that I have 305/70/16's on my XJ, they work out to 32.8" on paper, should I go with the 38 tooth because they are a little smaller then a 33" tire?

Also I can't find a short speedo gear (39 or 38 tooth) anywhere for less then like $75, where are the $20 ones that everyone is talking about in these write ups for theirs?

Thanks,
Justin

#2 ·
#3 ·
Ok so I've been searching around online all last night and today for a new speedo gear fro my np231. I've seen more charts about it then I ever wanted to lol. Most of the charts are telling me for 33's with 4.56's I need a 39 tooth speedo gear. I also saw a few that said I need a 38 tooth gear? How would I tell whats going to be better? I was thinking that I have 305/70/16's on my XJ, they work out to 32.8" on paper, should I go with the 38 tooth because they are a little smaller then a 33" tire?

Also I can't find a short speedo gear (39 or 38 tooth) anywhere for less then like $75, where are the $20 ones that everyone is talking about in these write ups for theirs?

Thanks,
Justin
Look at the dates on all the write-ups -- they're old. The gears used to only be about $20-$25, but the price inexplicably went up about a year ago. Now they're all like $70.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.