speedometer gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > speedometer gear

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 02-06-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
paulmatyn

1992 XJ Cherokee 

speedometer gear

i need a 28 tooth speedometer gear for xj. does anyone know who sells them. and i already looked at jeepinoutfitters.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysEdition04 View Post
After reading 7-8 of your posts I've come to the conclusion that you may be mentally retarded, which is why I won't ask what "brain guts" are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Dodgers View Post
I'd rather take the chance and belive in God than take the chance and not.
Cuz ya got nothing to lose by believing, but ya sure might if ya don't.
White Jeep Club Member-2027
paulmatyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
rstarch345

Check here http://www.transmissioncenter.org/sp...e_and_jeep.htm
'71 M151
I'm a proud member of MyUniBody
rstarch345 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
paulmatyn

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstarch345 View Post

that came up in a google search, but they only go down to a 30. i need a 28 tooth speedo gear. also, i need the short shaft. they have the 28 tooth for a long shaft.
Quote:
After reading 7-8 of your posts I've come to the conclusion that you may be mentally retarded, which is why I won't ask what "brain guts" are.
Quote:
Unread 02-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Call your local Jeep dealership and have them check. The part number would be 52067628 if such a thing existed. What tire/gear set up are you running such that you need a 28-tooth gear though????
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
paulmatyn

1992 XJ Cherokee 

a 235 75 15, but it is more dont ask and dont tell. i dont really NEED the gear, but i do need it for other reasons.
gears are 3:07
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 02-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
TMXONR
1987 XJ Cherokee 

You can switch the shafts out. I did it. When I got my lower gears I had to buy a new speedometer gear.

I thought I was going to get lucky by ordering a gear with the correct shaft from Ruel Teague Motors in Oregon (the only dealership that had on in stock in the country according to the dealer ship by my college) Then I had my mom call to order it the guy walked to the back and said that it was the correct number with the correct teeth count. When I recieved the gear it was a stock gear that looked like it had been used. There was greese in the end of the shaft where it goes into the gear cable and it wasn't even in the package that the speedo gears come in. I called the dealership and the guy gave me some BS about how the part numbers changed (yes numbers changed but the part didn't) and he refused give me the correct gear. So I went to the Landers by my house (where I get all my dealer parts at, people are nice and there is a guy who is knowledgeable about Jeeps and Jeepers) He ordered me the correct tooth count gear with a long shaft.

Anyway back to switching the shafts. First you take a torch and heat the shaft of your old gear, until you see the plastic start to bubble around where the shaft enters. Flip the gear over and use a punch or nail to tap the shaft out. (Take note to how far in the shaft goes in so you can get the correct length) Repeat this process for the new gear to get the shaft out of it.

New gear, with the short shaft

Now heat the end of the long shaft that you are putting in the new gear, until the end turns purple/blue. Now slide the shaft into the gear and make sure it goes in strait.

Here is the gear finished

I hope this helps

but X2 on what set up are you using to need that gear, you would have to be runningn 35's or 36's on stock gearing
'87 XJ: Front 3-link with coilovers, sits at 4.5" of lift | Custom front bumper | Custom rear bumper | Custom Rock Rails | Tow hooks and Rear hitch | Warn M8000 | Racing seats | Factory D44 in the rear | 33x12.50 Interco TrXus MT's on Mickey Thompson 15x8 Classic Lock's | 4.56 gears | ECTED's front and rear | RCV front axle shafts

Blue Jeep Club #244
TMXONR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
Tjosh97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just curious but didnt quadratec have speedo gears for Jeeps for $20.00 why are they so pricey now. Call the Dealer on a 38-tooth for 97 TJ and they told me $64, I felt that was to high.
Red Jeep Club #556 - "DA 4-$LANGER"
1997 Flame Red TJ 4-Banger (2.5L) 4.0 TB 62mm Bored w/ Spacer -- 31x10.50 D. Cepek "Crushers" -- 15" Black Rock Crawlers -- AEM DryFlow -- Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back -- EBC Brake System -- Rough Country 2.5" Lift w/ Discos -- RC Adj Track Bars -- Currie HD Steering -- Rugged Ridge Diff Covers - DDM 6000K HID
Tjosh97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The price for the gears went up a few months ago. Most everyone is asking around 70 for one.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.