Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

speedometer gear

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  xjfever 
#1 ·
i need a 28 tooth speedometer gear for xj. does anyone know who sells them. and i already looked at jeepinoutfitters.com

#3 ·
that came up in a google search, but they only go down to a 30. i need a 28 tooth speedo gear. also, i need the short shaft. they have the 28 tooth for a long shaft.

#5 ·
a 235 75 15, but it is more dont ask and dont tell. i dont really NEED the gear, but i do need it for other reasons.
gears are 3:07

#6 ·
You can switch the shafts out. I did it. When I got my lower gears I had to buy a new speedometer gear.

:ranton:
I thought I was going to get lucky by ordering a gear with the correct shaft from Ruel Teague Motors in Oregon (the only dealership that had on in stock in the country according to the dealer ship by my college) Then I had my mom call to order it the guy walked to the back and said that it was the correct number with the correct teeth count. When I recieved the gear it was a stock gear that looked like it had been used. There was greese in the end of the shaft where it goes into the gear cable and it wasn't even in the package that the speedo gears come in. I called the dealership and the guy gave me some BS about how the part numbers changed (yes numbers changed but the part didn't) and he refused give me the correct gear. So I went to the Landers by my house (where I get all my dealer parts at, people are nice and there is a guy who is knowledgeable about Jeeps and Jeepers) He ordered me the correct tooth count gear with a long shaft.
:rantoff:

Anyway back to switching the shafts. First you take a torch and heat the shaft of your old gear, until you see the plastic start to bubble around where the shaft enters. Flip the gear over and use a punch or nail to tap the shaft out. (Take note to how far in the shaft goes in so you can get the correct length) Repeat this process for the new gear to get the shaft out of it.

New gear, with the short shaft

Now heat the end of the long shaft that you are putting in the new gear, until the end turns purple/blue. Now slide the shaft into the gear and make sure it goes in strait.

Here is the gear finished

I hope this helps

but X2 on what set up are you using to need that gear, you would have to be runningn 35's or 36's on stock gearing

#7 ·
Just curious but didnt quadratec have speedo gears for Jeeps for $20.00 why are they so pricey now. Call the Dealer on a 38-tooth for 97 TJ and they told me $64, I felt that was to high.

#8 ·
The price for the gears went up a few months ago. Most everyone is asking around 70 for one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.