speedo, tach, and fuel gauges not working.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > speedo, tach, and fuel gauges not working..

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-06-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
xjcowboy01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

speedo, tach, and fuel gauges not working..

So I just bought my old '93 xj back from my buddys family and all is the same except for some reason right before i got it the tach, speedo, and fuel gauges quit working. The fuel gauge is pinned all the way to the right but the low fuel light is on. And the tach, and speedo just dont respond at all. I tried switching out gauge clusters and that didnt help. All fuses are good too. My buddys dad had worked on it a couple days before I got it and thinks it could be something to do with one of the sensors on the throttle body or possibly something to do with an old fuel pump. Anybody have any idea where i should start?

Unread 08-06-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
xjcowboy01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Ok well I took out the gauge cluster and cleaned the connections with no luck. I cleaned the speed sensor at the transfer case and fuel sending unit at the gas tank and still nothing. I made sure I had good battery connections and even switched out batteries with a new one to make sure I was good to go. I checked all ground wires and rechecked all fuses. I turned the key 3 times to get the trouble code and it flashe 1 2 5 5. The first code 12 means the battery was disconnected which is true but i could not find out what 55 was. All other codes in the fifties were related to the PCM. Would a bad PCM cause this since the jeep has 251000 miles on it. But all other things run fine. If someone could help I sure would appreciate it.
Unread 10-03-2008, 10:00 PM   #3
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I know this is old, but the 55 means the end of the code transmission. It just lets you know that there are not any more codes present.
csouers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
jeepfromhell610
1995 XJ Cherokee 

this is a really old post so i'm hoping maybe you've gotten the problem fixed since then? i have the same problem in my 95 cherokee country nd was wondering if you could help
jeepfromhell610 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
mikey4592
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm having the same problem on my 95 Cherokee. I've been doing some research and some people say the BCM Body Control Module could be the problem. Gonna try and get one from a junk yard and see if that works. Several people say it's a bad ground but I have checked all mine and can't find any that are bad. If you found the problem, can you post the solution?
Mike
mikey4592 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
xjcowboy01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Im sorry its so late with the response. I posted the answer in another post of mine at the time. The problem was broken ground wires on the engine block. This was possibly because of engine mount failure causing the wires to break. There are 3 wires on the passenger side of the engine just behind the distributor. These wires are just bolted onto the engine for grounding. All of these wires control gauges. Check there I bet thats the problem.
Unread 05-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
Jwhit001
1996 XJ Cherokee 

speeedo, tach, fuel gauge problems

Thanks for the info. I found a broken ground wire on the left side of the block, problem fixed.

Jeff
Jwhit001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
tateedge
1996 XJ Cherokee 

next time add a new connection to the wire off the ground and then go to your transfer case underneath and pull out the speedometer reader and see if its TOAST! cause if that wire fell off chances are it could kill that reader
tateedge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #9
Realbass

Eureka! It worked!!

Three clusters later, and after much head banging and hair pulling, my wife found this post.
Thank you, thank you, thank you to the person who suggested checking the three ground wires on the passenger side of the engine! I found a broken wire there, and when it made contact, all the gauges began working, including the overhead compass, and air temperature, which had also stopped working. I am so happy!
1996 Jeep Cherokee Country. 18 years old, 243K Miles, and still running strong!
Realbass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
bjones74
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Moving to a new thread. Thanks!

Hi,

I have a 92 Laredo. My symptoms are Speedometer will only go to about 25mph. The odometer turns very slowly and the tach also will only read up to 1000 rpm. The overhead Temp and direction are usually blank, every once in a while it will show a couple of dots and only once have I ever seen it display correctly. Do these symptoms seem like ground problem? I am about to go outside and try to find the 3 wires near the distributer on the motor. Is there an easy way to test they are working correctly?

Thanks,

Brent

1992 Cherokee Laredo

Last edited by bjones74; 10-20-2013 at 02:59 PM..
bjones74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #11
Kyle2544

93 Jeep Wrangler tachometer

My tach quit working on 93 wrangler. Where do I start looking for fix?
Kyle2544 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.