Speedo Correction and Math Fun with Eric Zappe and Mark Tener - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Speedo Correction and Math Fun with Eric Zappe and Mark Tener

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #16
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Funny thing about stock XJs... When I bought my XJ, it was going stay stock too. It's an admirable goal but rarely does it succeed.

That's awesome on the 97! He's definitely lucky to have someone as knowledgeable as you to help him along with it. Your spare parts collection probably doesn't hurt either.

Unread 03-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #17
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post

34 teeth and epic decimal places!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significant_figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by habbyguy View Post
I did it a little different, starting with the premise that I didn't assume my speedo was perfect to start with. Just applying a formula won't fix a speedo error (and US vehicle speedos are often WAY off out of the factory - I think they can be something like 5% off legally).

Anyway, after converting to 31" tires, I went out and did a speedo check run, recording the actual speed (using a GPS) at 10mph increments from 30 to 80 (oops, I must have meant 60, since those last two readings would have required speeding).

Then I counted the teeth on my current speedo drive gear.

Then I figured the ratio between my actual speed and indicated speed for each of the readings I took, and used the average.

Then I divided the counted number of teeth on my current gear by the average ratio, and rounded up or down to the nearest whole number.

It came out really close to a whole number (27 teeth, if I recall correctly). My problem was that the gear was only available in a long-shaft version (for the early 90's cable-drive speedo), so I had to order one of those and melt / glue the 27 tooth gear onto my short shaft.

The results were great - my speedo is off no more than about 1mph at any speed (kinda nice when I pass those "Your Speed Is" signs, they agree with my dash).
This is probably the best way to be accurate because of how INaccurate most stock calibrations are.

New sig rules suck.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #18
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I know about significant figures, I just left them there to be silly. The pictures of girls weren't part of the arithmetic functions either.

The first error most people use is by going with the tire size and assuming a 31x10.50-15 is really 31" tall. The second is by just using some chart they found online.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.