Speaker Replacement 1992 Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Speaker Replacement 1992 Cherokee

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
mudboy84

Speaker Replacement 1992 Cherokee

Need to know the front door, rear door, and dash speakers sizes. Need to get replacements on all of them for a 1992 Grand Cherokee. Anyone have any inexpensive ones they have used that seem to sounds descent. This Jeep is my future mother in laws and its got maybe 200,000 miles so nothing too fancy. Just want to get her a set of speakers she has been wanting. Not sure what size they are. Thanks a lot.

mudboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
ehall
1991 XJ Cherokee 

get on crutchfield.com and it will tell you everything
ehall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
diskman_1
1992 XJ Cherokee 

100% sure that 6.5 inch round speakers will fit in the front doors. Possibly the rear hatch. I got 6.5s to fit in my 99s front doors just fine and I just ordered 4 Infinity Reference 6.5s for my 1992 also. I snagged a roof-mount soundbar from a 95 at the local junkyard so I will slap my 6.5s on the headliner and in my front door. Probably will leave the 5.25s off in the hatch though.

Get some 6.5s for the front doors for sure. Heck, I even got 6x9s to fit in my 84XJ with a bit of cutting. Once you get the 6.5s for the front, remove the rear hatch panel and try one there for fitment. If it fits, go get another set of 6.5s for the hatch. I HIGHLY recommend NOT fitting 6x9s in the hatch. Had to cut and hack that damn fiberglass for hours to make em fit and they tend to fall out all the time. At least on my 84. Stick with 6s or 5.25s in the hatch if 6.5s wont fit.
diskman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
eliassami5
1991 XJ Cherokee 

you'll find better luck in the Grand Cherokee forums, this is the Cherokee forums. But since they are so alike you can fit 6.5's in the front doors by just drilling new mounting holes, and you can also fit 6.5's in the rear hatch, my speakers came with adapters to fit larger speakers in a smaller speakers mounting holes so i used those. Not sure if you can drill new mounting holes in the hatch since i havent personally done it and i didnt really inspected that area much when i was installing my speakers. Not sure about GC dash speakers since in the cherokee you have to rip out the whole dash to get to them (or so im told)

Here's my setup

Since then i have removed the adapters on the front two doors which made the speakers retreat about 1/4 of an inch, that might have given me enough room to where i didnt have to trim the pannels, not positive tho since the factory speakers grills arent there anymore for me to see if they touch the speakers or not lol.
eliassami5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
collkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do you like those type S's?

I just got a pair of 5.25 for my cherokee on black friday. Picked them up for $50 thought it was a good deal!
Colorado Member #89
collkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #6
ehall
1991 XJ Cherokee 

The OP can't have a 1992 Grand Cherokee, since those started production in '93

6.5 will fit in the doors and hatch *IF* you use low-profile speakers. Regular depth 6.5 will not fit.
ehall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.