Spartan Pops all the time in 4wd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Spartan Pops all the time in 4wd

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 01-28-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
YardFab
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Spartan Pops all the time in 4wd

So I bought a Spartan for my XJ Put it in the Dana 30 up front and did a complete over haul. New bearings, axles, ball joints, whole nine yards. This over haul became, "since Im here Ill put a locker in."

So under power in 4wd, this thing sounds like a broke ring gear popping. Coast its quiet. Turning it releases like it should. Do the spin test. Can put resistance on one wheel and it ratchets. 2wd can hear it if you want to, and pops when turning like a ratchet locker will.

Biggest thing is the popping in 4wd. Wheels straight, slow or fast, wheels turned, still does it. Put it in 2wd, no popping.

Im at a loss.. Never ran one before. Looking at a "hey dummy you forgot to..."

YardFab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

what could that be but the teeth in the locker slipping past each other while it is engaged?
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #3
YardFab
1995 XJ Cherokee 

No idea.. I pulled it apart again last night. everything looks good. Im going to start over and check back lash, mesh, whole thing over. Something not right for sure. I checked the spacing on the locker and its right on the money. Drove it in the snow last night in 4 hi and you would have thought it was going to explode. Confused as to what it is. Axle shaft, joints, hubs, bearings , locker , carrier , all literally new. Starting to wonder if its something to do with the Spartan itself.
Unread 01-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #4
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hows your transfer case and front driveshaft joints?
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #5
YardFab
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Solution

Got it figured out tonight... The bearing kit for the diff rebuild had the wrong inner bearing and race. From yoke I had no movement. Pinion depth was good , lash was good, and pattern was good. Found it by putting jeep on stands and removed diff covers and watched the rotation of pinion and ring gear. As soon as force was applied to the front tires, the pinion would start to deflect and pop. So.. went back to parts store handed them the bearing and race, and they apologized for the mistake.

Also found that the CV part of my drive shaft had some issues. The center ball and cup was dry as a bone.. it was binding and popping also ((not the same noise or as loud. you had to be under Jeep to hear it.)). So there were two problems.

Brand :National
Front Pinion Bearings for XJ 1984 to 1996 are the following part numbers:
HM88649
HM88610

Brand: National
Pinion Seal
5788 ( Fit Dana 44 rear and Dana 30 front housings)

I hope this helps someone in the future.
The inner bearing on some xj dana 30 use the same inner and outer bearing and race.
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:09 AM   #6
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
..I would've also asked for a new set of R&P in compensation, since if the gear mesh is all messed up under torque, the R&P can be ruined pretty damn quickly.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.