Spark Plugs - Champion vs. Autolite vs. NGK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Spark Plugs - Champion vs. Autolite vs. NGK

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
Morris4x4Center
Vendor

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Spark Plugs - Champion vs. Autolite vs. NGK

I have searched and read too many threads to count. The only thing I have concluded is NOT to use E3, Splitfire, etc. I have even seen that the NGK V-Power is not liked as much the standard NGK.

First, I have a 1997 4.0L Automatic. I am using the Davis Unified Ignition Firepower Kit, performance coil, cap, rotor and wires. DUI recommends the Autolite AP985 (single platinum) gapped to .065". It is nearly impossible to gap these that much, so I settled on .050".

I had an issue that ended up being fuel related. In the process of diagnosing, I took it to a friend at the dealership. He frowned on the use of Autolite in a Jeep. He also said the AP985's were a little too short. At first glance, they do look slightly shorter than the Champion 412's. Once the seating rings are on, they both seem to have the same amount of thread left. The Champion's ring is much thicker. Once seated, I'm not sure how much difference there would be.

I have read that the stock 1997, 4.0L likes plain old copper plugs. But my ignition isn't stock.

I have read that Champions from the dealer are better than the ones from the local autoparts store, even with the same part number. I find this a little hard to believe. Differences of batches mabye, but a "better" plug???

I have also read that some dealerships are switching all their plugs (even for older Jeeps) to NGK because of quality issues with Champion. Even though, my friend has heard no such thing.

Are there any EDUCATED opinions about these plugs? What about platinum vs. plain copper?

I am most likely going to try a set of NGK 6779's (non-V-Power) next. With my ignition I will be trying .050" gap again. Unless someone can give me a better choice...

Morris4x4Center.com

Toll Free: 877.553.5337 | Free Shipping on Orders Over $99!|
PM me for any questions or Price-Matching!
Morris4x4Center is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
XJH-007

I've run everything from plain coppers, to splitfires, to 4 prong plantium truck plugs....... all in all they will all work.

I settled in on the 4 prong truck plugs. They seem to last a lot longer, have slightly better fuel econonmy, and the largest thing I noticed was a better Idle.

Bottom line, I don't think the 4.0 is a high enough performance motor to spend more then $5.00-6.00 per plug.

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
mdywglr4x4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would use copper. Copper is the best material for a spark plug in terms of performance. It will require a change more often but it is better. I know of big horsepower motors running on copper plugs because the performance is just better.

Just match to an NGK that is proper and will be the correct temp plug.
mdywglr4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
crosschecker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris4x4Center View Post

Are there any EDUCATED opinions about these plugs? What about platinum vs. plain copper?

Sure there are, write the manufacturers and ask them. Otherwise, this has been discussed many times on here and there are hundreds of educated opinions to choose from.
'96 ZJ 5.2 Limited
crosschecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
BigD 275
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Over the years I have tried alot of different plugs on my Jeep; from basic Champion, NGK, platinum, etc.

Currently have the E3 plugs and they work great. I must say that with the E3plugs, the engine does idle quite smoothly.

Overall, I never really noticed any significant difference from any of the plugs.
Unread 01-18-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
Deezelweazel
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would like to know if those plus have more than one electrode and if someone tried indexing the plugs?
Unread 01-18-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
XJH-007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezelweazel View Post
I would like to know if those plus have more than one electrode and if someone tried indexing the plugs?
"those plugs"

Typically All plugs have ONE electrode (center) and just multiple variations on the grounding path. The multiple point plugs are not indexable.
Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
Bain98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

ive always heard and have experienced that jeeps dont run very well on anything but champion plugs
Bain98xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
Mudviper
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I also run E3 in mine and have not problems with it, but have also heard that Champion Truck plugs are prefered plug for the 4.0
Mudviper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #10
Deezelweazel
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJH-007 View Post
"those plugs"

Typically All plugs have ONE electrode (center) and just multiple variations on the grounding path. The multiple point plugs are not indexable.
sorry, I was meaning the ground strap. And I know that indexing is not possible with muliple ground straps( does really make no sense)
Deezelweazel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #11
olds442
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I use champion truck plugs...been running great for a while now
VT
olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.