Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Spark Plugs

3K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  louisd11 
#1 ·
I need new spark plugs for my Jeep Cherokee 2000 6 Cylinder. Any recommendations?

#5 ·
I've always had great results with Autolite single platinum plugs. Correct pn# for your jeep is AP985. You can get them @ Walmart for $3.88 for two of them. :)

Here's a bit about them from the Autolite Webpage:

Autolite Single Platinum spark plugs have all the features of our traditional plugs with the addition of a full platinum tip on the center electrode. This platinum point delivers precise firing with virtually no gap erosion up to 50,000 miles. Resistor plugs minimize electronic interference and can aid in reducing electrode erosion. Copper core aids in cooling and improves resistance to fouling. Power tip or extended electrode plugs project the firing tip into the combustion chamber which not only aids in cooling but also cleaning so that fouling is reduced at low RPM.

#8 ·
jesus freakin christ.......

alone i have pondered how many people have come up with this thread and it amazes me at how many more will do so.

this topic has been discussed like 40 million times...

look in your owner's manual...what's it say??? champion??? that's because chrystler sponsors champion...GM does delco, and imports do denso or NGK...ford does motorcraft...

if you dont know which brand you want, look in the owner's manual, that's what the engine was designed around.

#9 ·
wow

tact is your middle name, right?

i never knew that the 4.0 in my Jeep was designed around 6-spark plugs all of the same brand. imagine -- if they "sponsored" more than one brand of plugs, we'd have a pretty weird looking engine - one cylinder designed around this plug, another cylinder designed around that plug, so on and so forth until all the sponsored plugs were satisfied, and then ---- what? i wonder if it would even run...

I do believe that you missed the nut in the OP's question; he needs new plugs, is probably very much aware of what the manual suggests, or RECOMMENDS, and is just asking around to see if anyone else out there is using something ELSE and if so, what is their experience with them. I agree, a search of some kind, even using lame search criteria, would have yielded about a gazillion threads, but many times the search function is not working properly. But really I don't know why folks respond with hostility to threads they hate to see -- why read it, and why respond? It isn't as though someone, anyone, was or is spreading stuff they heard from Miss Information, y'know? Just sparky the plug sort of stuff, all a matter of personal preference and/or experience regarding their own Jeep.

As politely and as kindly as I can state it, your response was just plain rude and offensive. And, rather indefensible. But hey, I suppose you've got as much right to say what you want to say as, well gee, the original poster has a right to ASK what he wants to ask, wouldn't you figure? So before you get your pants in a wedgie about me saying this about your response, please consider that nothing, virtually nothing, in my post regarding YOU is anywhere near as astringent as YOUR response to the OP. Main difference is, he didn't necessarily deserve it.

#11 ·
I ran champion truck plugs, but I can't find them anymore, so I think they may be discontinued :dunno:

I ran some Accel Ugroove plugs and they were pretty good, but not worth the cost. They came with the ign kit I picked up.

I tried platinums and didn't like them at all. My idle quality was not that good.

I tried Autolites (running them now) and don't care for them either.

Just picked up some Autolite Platinums, and will be installing those soon. From what I have seen so far, the 4.0L is a simple animal that doesn't really know the difference from a good-better plug, but does know the difference when running cheap plugs.

Chuck don't mind severous01, the subject comes up quite a bit, and I'm sure no ill will was intended.

#12 ·
You know, Balloo's last post really hits home why we shouldn't worry much about the same old questions popping up. Yes, a search would yield a gazillion threads on this BUT those threads are from the past. A forum like this is constantly changing, with new folk coming aboard and older members lapsing. Everyone has their experiences to share. I run the Champion truck plugs too but was unaware that I may not be able to find them when it comes time to install new plugs. Because this thread came up yet again, new information was provided to me and I'm going to check around here if those plugs are still on the market. Everything changes and evolves and every new bit of information is added to the old and shapes our lives.

Now on the other hand if the question were "What size tires....":D

#13 ·
I got my truck plugs from Advance maybe 2 months ago? Had to order them from someplace but it only took a day and I'm very happy with them.

#14 ·
i just went through the same thing. i wanted Bosch but for our engines the best are Autolite Platinums or Double Plats or Champions.. Any thing else give you lack of power.. I talked to my friend that works at Bill Marsh about it... So i bought the Autolite Doubles with there wires and a new cap and rotor.. works good

ps.. Jesus dont give a **** what plugs you have

#15 ·
severous01 said:
jesus freakin christ.......

alone i have pondered how many people have come up with this thread and it amazes me at how many more will do so.

this topic has been discussed like 40 million times...

look in your owner's manual...what's it say??? champion??? that's because chrystler sponsors champion...GM does delco, and imports do denso or NGK...ford does motorcraft...

if you dont know which brand you want, look in the owner's manual, that's what the engine was designed around.
My suggestion would be 6 of the same brand and part number. I've had the best results with that.

#16 ·
I guess I obvioulsy need 6 because I have a six cylinder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.