spark plug gap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > spark plug gap

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-04-2005, 08:55 PM   #1
numnuts

spark plug gap

I have a 2000 xj 4.0 and the spark plug gap is .35 now i have herd some fellas increase the gap to .40 and said there Jeeps runs as good or better. Is this true, and have any of you guys tried it.

numnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2005, 09:37 PM   #2
XJ96PA2
2001 WJ 

It's probably true but you'll need to replace them a little more often.
Unread 08-04-2005, 10:10 PM   #3
Rock Kustoms

ummmm.... .035, and yes .040 works well, .045 works nice too, but it eats plugs up
Rock Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2005, 11:49 PM   #4
Boomhauer
1996 XJ Cherokee 

This was helpful to me as i had the same question. Hope it helps.

http://www.centuryperformance.com/spark.asp
Boomhauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
_litz
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I find this interesting because I just changed my plugs; the last set were installed at a shop, and I did them myself this time to save money.

.035 gapped plugs went in (as specified), but the ones that came out (installed years back by a shop) were gapped at .050 ...

Any ideas how that larger gap would have affected performance? Jeep ran OK, but mileage wasn't all that great ...

I have to wonder if it's been running incorrectly gapped plugs all this time, or if they've just worn out to the point the gap is now that large.

- _litz
_litz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by _litz View Post
I have to wonder if it's been running incorrectly gapped plugs all this time, or if they've just worn out to the point the gap is now that large.
With conventional plugs, you could expect that type of gap increase in 25-30k miles.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

I jut changed my plugs the other day and they were gapped at .70, i was still getting 19 miles per gallon and had good power. they must of never been changed my jeep only has 90,000 on it.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.