Spark Plug Change - Clicking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Spark Plug Change - Clicking

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 05-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
noxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Spark Plug Change - Clicking

01 XJ with the 4.0 I6. First before all this I seafoamed it earlier today. Then changed the plugs to autolites with .035 gap. As soon as I cranked it up, it was clicking. Flashing light indicated misfire correct? I've attached a video for someone with a good ear to hopefully watch. I have a very general understanding of different things it could be, just would like some extra pointers to help me work my way through the troubleshooting process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSP3l...ature=youtu.be

Thank you for reading and watching
-Noah

noxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like one of the spark plug boots isn't seated on the plug all the way and is arcing to the block.

edit: and since you have an '01 that coil pack rail can be a real pain to get to seat on all the plugs.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
noxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah tell me about it. Is there a trick to that? I couldn't figure out a good way to keep them all going down at the same time.
noxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

use some di-electric grease if you aren't already. that will help conduct and help to slide em in.

A wise man once told me, "I am going to give you some advice; you can take it or leave it, but keep in mind that it is worth exactly what you paid for it"
BleepinJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxj View Post
Yeah tell me about it. Is there a trick to that? I couldn't figure out a good way to keep them all going down at the same time.
I usually start from the front of the block and move towards the back while pushing the coil rail down onto the plugs.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc , clicking , misfire , spark plugs , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.