Sorry, I am rusty on my XJs... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Sorry, I am rusty on my XJs...

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 11-02-2005, 11:13 AM   #1
BIGNUTT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry, I am rusty on my XJs...

I just bought my 3rd XJ, but its been about 2 years since my last '00. I got my favorite specific XJ a 1999 Sport with np231 with 63k miles for $6500 (not bad right?). Now I have about $3,000 to dump into it and I already ordered my RE 3.5" SF and AA HD SYE and I am down to BPI or Warn for the front bumper, but I am not sure on what rock sliders and what size tires to run.

I know the standard 3" lift tire is 31s, but I figure I will get 4" with the RE lift and I will cut my fenders also. So I am wondering if a 285/75 16 will fit? What BS rims would I need, would 4.5" work? I plan to regear soon with 4.56s if I do go bigger than 31s.

and what brand rock sliders does everyone favor? I've looked at Warn and Custom 4x4s, but my old XJ had ORGS (which were the best btw) which are no longer produced.

Any help would be great.

Proud to be a Christian
BIGNUTT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
PolarXJ

I would run 33s with that lift...but thats just me...I stuffed 35s under mine with 3 inches and alot of trimming. For back spacing 3.75 has worked well for me. As for the rock sliders...if you have to buy them shoot AJ at ajs offroad armor an e-mail. The work he does is excellent.

On Water:
05 Kawasaki 800 SX-R
95 Tigershark 640
PolarXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
Dewidge

I think AJ's look pretty sweet.

http://ajsoffroadarmor.com/
Unread 11-02-2005, 11:48 AM   #4
wipedawg

Definitely run 33's with the right bumpstops. I ran the aj's superrails and loved them

pics are with my old crappy leafs that wouldn't flex for the life of them

6 in lift, 35" Interco Trxus MT's, long armed, Bushwacker cut-out flares, Skyjacker coils(powdercoated grey), RE 4.5 extreme duty leaf packs, Tera 1.5in shackles, AJ's Superrails, AA SYE, TW DS, Blacked out all around. and a buncha RE trackbar stuff, and the infamous ZJ tierod :)
wipedawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2005, 12:23 PM   #5
el_chupo_
2012 JK Wrangler 

285s are 33s....

I dont have em, but if i were buying i would go AJs as well. you may want a 3/4 inch spacer to go with the lift for the frong, and i would throw the 285s under it if you can get them, or 33x10.50s if you go 15 inch wheels. I think 4'' would probably better backspacing, but if you keep it narrower than 12 inches you should be ok.

Matt

1999 XJ - Sold
1988 XJ Cheif - Sold
el_chupo_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2005, 12:30 PM   #6
ckh550

AJ's off road armor for the rock rails and bumpers. I have his super square rock rails ($239 shipped) and they're great, and about $400 cheaper than the Warn's. Seriously. www.ajsoffroadarmor.com

For bumpers, he can custom make them and do it for about half of the price for a warn or BPI bumper. I have an ARB bull bar and like it, but it hangs pretty low and far out in the front and it hurts my approach angle. Look for high clearance bumpers that don't stick out too far or low. Warns are not high clearance at all.

Hope that helps

Chris
ckh550 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2005, 01:14 PM   #7
BIGNUTT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I like PhatXJ's old bumper AJ built, wonder if he can build on for a 97+ XJ?

Proud to be a Christian
BIGNUTT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2005, 02:40 PM   #8
PolarXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNUTT
I like PhatXJ's old bumper AJ built, wonder if he can build on for a 97+ XJ?

He can. He is pretty backed up right now...but good things are worth waiting for.

On Water:
05 Kawasaki 800 SX-R
95 Tigershark 640
PolarXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.