Some one please HELP radiator cap keeps leaking coolant and pressure ! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Some one please HELP radiator cap keeps leaking coolant and pressure !

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Ramblah

Some one please HELP radiator cap keeps leaking coolant and pressure !

Hey I'm new to this forum and my first time on any forum ....well any ways I have a 94 Cherokee it's lifted with rims tires and gears also lockers front and back.... But my problem is while I'm driving on the road regular its okay and takes me any where with no problems but ONLY when I'm on the sand and pounding it full throttle and then once I shut it off my radiator cap lets out pressure and coolant ?? I just changed thermostat and radiator cap top radiator hose and flushed radiator it also has a 5 month old water pump and i know for a fact my HG isnt blown ! any one has any suggestions ? I need help please

Ramblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you are having an overheat condition at low speed, wheeling, idle then I would consider replacing the mechanical fan clutch. When it becomes weak, it may "feel" ok, but possibly not draw enough air over the radiator.

Another thing to consider is that your radiator may be plugged with bugs and mud between your a/c condenser and the radiator itself. Hose it off it that's the case - and inspect the radiator fins while you are at it.

It is possible that you have a defective rad cap. OEM is 16psi and Stant is a good aftermarket cap. Likewise your tstat could be defective, and for 4 bucks, putting a 195' tstat in could also resolve the problem.

I'd focus on the mech fan first.
Unread 01-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
Ramblah

Thanks rugsucka ill try an after market cap and try to shoot down the radiator and defenatly do the mech fan but I had a Tstat but it was stuck close so I just took it out an running with out it is that good ??
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
seww
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblah
Thanks rugsucka ill try an after market cap and try to shoot down the radiator and defenatly do the mech fan but I had a Tstat but it was stuck close so I just took it out an running with out it is that good ??
You should not run the Jeep without a t-stat. It wont run at operating temp which may cause damage to the engine.
But an OEM stat, 195*. Stat!
seww is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblah View Post
.......but ONLY when I'm.......pounding it full throttle and then once I shut it off my radiator cap lets out pressure and coolant.........
In a normal heat cycle, the cap is supposed to release pressure/coolant to the recovery bottle. As the motor cools, coolant returns to the radiator via the rad cap.....presuming the cooling system is leak free and the 2 way valve in the rad cap functions correctly. Install a t-stat.
Unread 01-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Ramblah

Well ill try and put backing the tstat right now and take it for a drive on the and and see how it does
Unread 01-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
Ramblah

Another thing is that there's two fans one that's always on another one next to it but that one never ever turns on what's that one for ? I have ac but don't use it at all but when I do turn it on that fan still don't kick in could that be a problem ?
Unread 01-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The mechanical fan is on the passenger side. It is belt driven and 'always' on. It has a clutch that clamps up with elevated rad temperatures passing over it. If you don't hear a fairly strong fan 'roar' it could be defective. Feel is not good enough - it always has some drag, but will firm up more with higher temps.

The Electric fan is on the drivers side and comes on based on coolant temperature. Once my coolant hits the 210' mark, the e-fan will kick on until the temperatures slide back down. You will often hear it stopped at a light or when idling on a trail.

You NEED a tstat, and it should be 195' and your rad cap 16psi. Make sure the cap is attached properly. Don't laugh, it's been done.
Unread 01-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
Ramblah

Ok I'm putting in the tstat now and we see if the driver side fan kicks in or not and I just bought a 16psi rad cap cuz the one I had was 13psi
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
Ramblah

I just put in the brand new thermostat and flushed the radiator with 50/50 coolant . But didnt get a chance to go wheeling in the sand yet . But Ill keep all you posted ill take it wheeling today for Shure
Unread 01-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #11
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

And dont worry, running with out a t stat will not damage a 4.0! HAHA
austinaubinoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
Ramblah

Just got back from wheeling it only did it a lil bit so I'm going to change the cap cause it seems like the cap but in the mean time any other suggestions ?
Unread 01-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
flexyxj
2009 XK Commander 

There is a wiring harness kit available that plugs into the factory harness that allows you to turn on the electric fan with a switch on the dash. I bought it on Ebay several years ago and it was a well made set-up with detailed instructions.Also, spend 50$ and replace your fan clutch on the mechanical fan.
flexyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
Ramblah

Does any one know where I can get a stant radiator cap ? Would napa or oreailly have it ?
Unread 01-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
Ramblah

I live in hawaii and there charging me 145$ for a fan clutch !

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.