(SOLVED) XJ Fuel Pressure/Injector Question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 31 Old 03-08-2017, 07:38 PM
CP30
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I figured you probably already did this but I would change out the fuel filter if you haven't already done it. Can't hurt. They're relatively cheap and you're supposed to change them out every like 30,000 miles anyway.

I think your hold pressure on your fuel is probably fine. The Haynes manual for my Ford Mustang says that the fuel pressure should not drop more than 5 PSI within five minutes after cutting off the engine. That infers that the pressure will normally drop at a certain rate after you cut the engine.Your hold pressure sounds in line with that.

I suspect things in this order:

Fuel
Fire/spark
Air
Compression/Head gasket

There are many sensors that tell the ECU how much fuel needs to be sprayed by the injectors and that control the spark timing. I wish you were actually getting a check engine light. That would at least narrow it down. BTW, have you actually checked your data terminal with a scanner yet? Maybe your CEL is burned out. (Mine is burned out on my ford pickup. Gotta replace it) When your turn your key to the ignition on position does your CEL light up briefly?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 Old 03-08-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
dan4081

I wish I had a check engine light...but no, and it does work.
I have even scanned for codes and nothing pending.
post #18 of 31 Old 03-08-2017, 08:40 PM
CP30
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I was wondering, do you have EFI or a distributer? (Got a distributer on our 96 XJ). If you have a distributer I would change out the rotor and the cap. More cheap tries. Not trying to give spam answers. Just throwing out things I would try to do if it were mine.

post #19 of 31 Old 03-09-2017, 05:49 AM
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I don't believe the fuel pump is supposed to continue to run for more than a few seconds with the key in the "run" position if the engine is not running. I know mine won't (hence why people suggest cycling a few times if you have a check valve issue, instead of holding it there). So if leaving it there for an extended period helps, I would guess electrical issues, not fuel pressure issues.

_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
post #20 of 31 Old 03-09-2017, 08:37 AM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
I don't believe the fuel pump is supposed to continue to run for more than a few seconds with the key in the "run" position if the engine is not running. I know mine won't (hence why people suggest cycling a few times if you have a check valve issue, instead of holding it there). So if leaving it there for an extended period helps, I would guess electrical issues, not fuel pressure issues.
Unless theres a difference in behavior on the older ones it runs until it builds to operating pressure, that just usually only takes a couple of seconds

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

post #21 of 31 Old 03-09-2017, 08:52 AM
CP30
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
I think the way to eliminate the fuel question would be to take off air intake tube from the throttle body opening, from a cold start, have someone open the throttle up and turn the key to start it and spray carb/throttle body cleaner into the throttle body opening while someone tries to start it. If it starts right up that means it wasn't getting fuel. If it still is hard to start and keeps cranking and cranking then you can eliminate fuel. It's a spark and/or air issue. And that most likely would be a bad sensor feeding bad info to the ECM. Or the ECM itself has got a problem.

Last edited by CP30; 03-15-2017 at 10:14 AM.
post #22 of 31 Old 03-09-2017, 09:11 AM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP30 View Post

I think the way to eliminate the fuel question would be to take off air intake tube from the throttle body opening, from a cold start, have someone open the throttle up and turn the key to start it and spray carb/throttle body cleaner into the throttle bottle body opening while someone tries to start it. If it starts right up that means it wasn't getting fuel. If it still is hard to start and keeps cranking and cranking then you can eliminate fuel. It's a spark and/or air issue. And that most likely would be a bad sensor feeding bad info to the ECM. Or the ECM itself has got a problem.
We know from OP's pressure tests that fuel pressure isn't being maintained, a starter fluid test isn't necessary to know there's an issue there

post #23 of 31 Old 03-09-2017, 05:14 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
Unless theres a difference in behavior on the older ones it runs until it builds to operating pressure, that just usually only takes a couple of seconds
The pump runs for a period of TIME. There is no fuel pressure sensor.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

My Jeep technical photos:

post #24 of 31 Old 03-09-2017, 05:55 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post

The pump runs for a period of TIME. There is no fuel pressure sensor.
Okay. Mine ran longer with the bad check valve. I assumed it was an overload controlled by the PCM based on the amount of current being drawn by the fuel pump to continue increasing pressure. I know there's not a dedicated fuel pressure sensor.

post #25 of 31 Old 03-12-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
dan4081

Changed the injectors Saturday and still had hard starting. One plus is when the jeep runs it runs smoother than before with the new injectors.
So next I pulled the new Bosch pump, returned it and got a new Bosch from autozone. Still long crank...maybe quicker than before but still not right. It does seem to be holding fuel pressure correctly now.
So I guess next step is to check the spark...waiting until my brother comes over and one of us will crank while the other watches the spark.

BUT...this afternoon when I was done putting the pump in I attempted to start it and my ignition switch or cylinder broke. The key spins way past the start position with no resistance.
Am I looking at replacing the cylinder or the switch? Or both?

Thanks everyone
post #26 of 31 Old 03-15-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
dan4081

It was the cylinder...swapped it out today.

Next, tackling the long start issue....I'm stumped but not ready to give up.
Will do some more testing this weekend.
post #27 of 31 Old 03-15-2017, 06:41 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post
It was the cylinder...swapped it out today.

Next, tackling the long start issue....I'm stumped but not ready to give up.
Will do some more testing this weekend.
Longer start is usually the check valve on the fuel pump, checked that yet?

If not, spend the extra for Bosch. Airtex (which is also repackaged as the store brand for major chains) is known to be a crap part and you'll be replacing it in a year.

post #28 of 31 Old 03-15-2017, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
dan4081

Quote:
Longer start is usually the check valve on the fuel pump, checked that yet?

If not, spend the extra for Bosch. Airtex (which is also repackaged as the store brand for major chains) is known to be a crap part and you'll be replacing it in a year.
If you remember that was the first thing I did...brand new bosch....then pulled it and exchanged with another new bosch just in case.
Still no go.
post #29 of 31 Old 03-15-2017, 07:20 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

If you remember that was the first thing I did...brand new bosch....then pulled it and exchanged with another new bosch just in case.
Still no go.
Sorry, mixed up threads. I'm on a lot lol

post #30 of 31 Old 03-15-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
dan4081

Quote:
Sorry, mixed up threads. I'm on a lot lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.