Soft Low Pitched Knocking After Oil Change. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-19-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
FrazierMedina
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Exclamation Soft Low Pitched Knocking After Oil Change.

I usually use Pennzoil SAE 10w-30 for my 1990 Cherokee 4.0L, but this time I decided to use Chevron Supreme SAE 10w-30 because I had it laying around the shop.

Before the oil change i had 149,997 miles on it and used Pennzoil like I have in the past, and a Fram can of death "no problems luckily". exactly 1 year later (4/18/2017) I changed my oil at 153,000 miles with Chevron Supreme and a WIX filter. The next day i turn on my jeep and notice a low pitched knocking, I've searched and im not the only one to have this happen but i have not found any answers to why this would happen.

My best guesses are: Could the different oil type cause this? Does Chevron somehow use thinner 10w-30? Do I just need thicker oil like 15w-30 or even 10w-40? Could the Fram can of death have caused this? Did I develop this problem months ago but never noticed because the oil was old and thick?

Any suggestions and answers are helpful, ears open!

1990 Jeep Cherokee XJ with 153,010 miles and always maintenanced.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-23-2017, 09:08 AM
oIIIIIooIIIIIo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Different brands of oil use different additives. As a general rule it is good to keep using the same oil for this reason. Where is the knock coming from? If it is from the pan that could be a rod knock. From the top it could be a lifter. They make a oil for high mileage motors. This has additives designed to swell old seals. Some engines have adjustable lifters and some don't.
I've always ran the 10-30 pensoil with no problems. I'd say that the problem may be additives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 Old 04-23-2017, 11:39 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Oil is oil, so changing brands of oil has no effect upon anything. My 1998 XJ has +264,000 miles and gets whatever brand of oil is in the 55 gallon drum at the oil change place, or is on sale at the nearest auto parts store. Old oil has had its additives used up and could possibly be considered thinner than new oil.

Naturally, you need to identify the source/cause of the noise, and then determine if it a usual/normal noise for a Jeep with the same age and mileage, or if it is a sign of a problem. Consider piston slap, lifter noise, or simple carbon build up as possible causes of the noise.

NO: 09-21-93
SUBJECT: Carbon Buildup On Top of Piston
DATE: Dec. 31, 1993

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Symptoms vary from light ticking, to a ticking/hammering to a hammering/knocking noise as the carbon buildup increases with mileage and time. The noise is constant and more pronounced when the engine is cold. However, it may disappear when the engine warms up. The noise is most noticeable during idle, but will get louder as engine speed increases.

DISCUSSION:
Carbon buildup is a relatively new condition that occurs during the combustion process and results from certain compounds in gasoline. These compounds form deposits on the top of the piston and cause contact between the cylinder head and the piston. The condition affects all gasoline engines and is industry wide. The brand of fuel and the type of detergents used by the gasoline supplier significantly contribute to the condition. Also, vehicles used in city traffic or light duty cycle operation are more prone to incurring the condition.

DIAGNOSIS:
Make sure that all vehicle systems are operating as designed.
Using the Mopar Diagnostic System or the Scan Tool (DRB II) with appropriate diagnostic procedure manual, verify that all engine systems are functioning as designed. If Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC s) are present, record them on the repair order for future reference, and repair as necessary.

If all engine systems are functioning as designed, ask the customer about the fuel that is being used in the vehicle. If there is a question about the quality of the fuel, suggest that only fuels which are "warranted" by the gasoline company against the build up of deposits be used.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
The use of Mopar Fuel Injector Cleaner has shown reasonable results in removing carbon buildup deposits. Add one bottle of Mopar Fuel Injector Cleaner (P/N 4318007) to a full tank of gas.

CAUTION: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD THIS FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER BE ADDED TO A PARTIALLY FILLED FUEL TANK. ALSO, LIQUID CLEANERS ADDED THROUGH THE ENGINE INTAKE SYSTEM COULD RESULT IN BENT CONNECTING RODS DUE TO HYDROSTATIC LOCK.

Mopar fuel injector cleaner is not intended for continuous use. Owners should be advised of the cause of the noise problem and a recommendation should be made to try other brands of gasoline.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

Tags
4.0 engine , cherokee , jeep , knocking sound , oil change

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.