So now I own a '00 Cherokee. What next? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > So now I own a '00 Cherokee. What next?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-07-2013, 05:18 AM   #1
AllenTC2
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So now I own a '00 Cherokee. What next?

Yesterday evening I drove home my new-to-me Cherokee. It's a Sport model, 4 dr, 4.0l engine, auto transmission. It looks to be in really great shape for a Jeep with 137K+ miles on it. The previous owner was a mechanic.

Some things I noted;

1) Cruise control didn't work
2) Panel lights seem really dim

I have already ordered a Haynes manual.

So what, if any, things should I do immediately to this thing to help with reliability, logngevity, etc. ? Looking into the future, I don't see any super-radical modifications. Maybe a roof rack and whatnot. This thing will be a DD for myself and my son, with some light offroad duty. No rock crawling.

When I bought my KLR, there was a short list of immediate, inexpensive (for the most part) mods that improved performance and durability. I guess I'm wondering if the Cherokee has a similar list.

Thanks!

AllenTC2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
cpttuna
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Unless you have records indicating when all fluids were last changed, I would have all changed just for peace of mind.(keep a record of it).
cpttuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
AllenTC2
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The previous owner had a complete service, to include fluid change, done two months ago. At least he had a receipt saying that. LOL

Another thing I noticed....a high-pitched squealing, particularly when the steering wheel was turned to the left. Pitch seemed to rise and fall with speed. Any ideas?

And while it seems trivial, I have got to get a new stereo and possibly speakers in there. I read that snapping the speaker wire to the driver's side door was a really common problem. How crazy is it to replace that wiring?

Last edited by AllenTC2; 06-12-2013 at 08:00 AM..
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenTC2 View Post
The previous owner had a complete suervice, to include fluid change, done two months ago. At least he had a receipt saying that. LOL

Another thing I noticed....a high-pitched squealing, particularly when the steering wheel was turned to the left. Pitch seemed to rise and fall with speed. Any ideas?

And while it seems trivial, I have got to get a new stereo and possibly speakers in there. I read that snapping the speaker wire to the driver's side door was a really common problem. How crazy is it to replace that wiring?
Belt, Power Steering Pump or Fluid is low.

That wiring is easy, it's just sort of a pain to trace the wire to the door and find out where it is broken.
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #5
AllenTC2
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Dumb question.....why would it squeal in one direction only?
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
evo_ski
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My money on the squeal is a wheel bearing. They tend to get loud when you turn the wheel in one direction and will get louder with higher speeds.
evo_ski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
AllenTC2
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've been doing a little research into dealing with this wheel bearing. It doesn't LOOK like a huge deal, just labor intensive (and I hope I don't need to use a torch). But what I did see was that you don't just tear the thing apart and replace a bearing, you have to replace the whole wheel hub as it's a sealed unit.

So, my questions are.....

1) Am I correct with my research?
2) If I am, is there a particular brand or type? My brief Google-Fu found this... http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._assembly.html
3) Are these things like brake pads, should I replace both front ones? I am thinking "no", but I'm a noob at this. LOL

Thanks!
Unread 06-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
jakecarder
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Check your antifreeze constantly. Search 0331 cracked head and you will understand. And never let it over heat. Let it over heat and it will crack
jakecarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
Kalali
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Listen to what jake said. If you see a drop in the coolant level and have no (external) leaks, the chances are your cylinder head is gone to heaven. Don't let that temp gauge go over 210, ever. Enjoy your new ride.
Kalali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #10
VintageBlueOval

Definitely keep an eyeball on the coolant level and your temp guage, but folks tend to unnecessarily freak out about the 0331 head. You can read all sorts of horror stories, but I can say I have over 300k miles on my 2000 Limited and it runs perfectly, nice and cool with 50 lbs of oil pressure while driving. I tow a 2000lb trailer every day, 100+ miles a day. I check the coolant level every week or so and flush the whole cooling system about every 25k miles. Most of the fixes on these vehicles are pretty easy, relatively. Check out your vaccum lines for damage, particularly on the passenger side near the battery, they commonly break there. The cruise control is vacuum controlled. Could be an easy fix for ya.

Hub bearings are surprisingly easy. You'll need a large socket for the axle nut but its basic stuff other than that. Once you take the calipers and discs off and get that axle nut free, theres just 4 bolts holding the hub bearing to the steering knuckle. You may struggle a bit if your rig is rusty but you can get it. Once you figure out the first side, the other side takes 15 min and is a piece of cake. If you need a little guidance, there are youtube videos showing the process start to finish.

In any event, don't hesitate to work on your Jeep yourself. You may be surprised what simple vehicles they are and there is TONS of support out there. Enjoy!

Ted

Daily driver: '00 XJ Limited 4x4 w/ 300k miles and still going strong.
VintageBlueOval is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 03:33 AM   #11
AllenTC2
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So do I need to replace both at the same time??? And are the items in my link the proper part?
Unread 06-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #12
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Cruise control you should check the little vacuum ball for cracks. It's in the front bumper on the passenger side. What else?

Aim your headlights. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...l#post15070679

Do a cowl snorkel. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...ml#post8805654

Trim your front bumper end caps. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...l#post10263358

Fix your sagging rear springs with a bastard pack. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...l#post11927710

Make it possible to remove/replace your rear shocks. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...l#post13811431

Fix the broken mounts for your center console. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...l#post14785173
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
AllenTC2
2000 XJ Cherokee 

OOooooo....thank you! That certainly has me thinking! I'm not like super-mechanically gifted, but some of that stuff I can certainly do!
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #14
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The hubs aren't like brakes. You can replace just one if it is bad. I can't see the links at work, but definitely go with a quality part like Timken to save yourself future headaches. Rockauto.com seems to have reasonable prices.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #15
ECL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Did my sons hub bearing with one from NAPA over the winter. So far, so good. I read a trick here to get the hub out if rusty (and here inPa, that's a given!). Once the axle and hubs bolts are out, place a short nut & bolt between an ear of the axle u-joint and the spindle/hub carrier, then start the Jeep and turn the wheel. Move it a little, then move to the opposite ear. Back and forth, back and forth. Using the hydraulic power of the power steering beats using a wheel puller.
Other than that, just normal maintenance.
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.